DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE JUST TURNED 74500 MILES ON MY '98. I HAVE HAD ALMOST NO PROBLEMS BUT NOW IT SEEMS TO BE PUFFING A SMALL WHITE SMOKEY CLOUD EVERYTIME I TAKE OFF. IT IS NOT HAPPENING WHEN I START IT THOUGH? ANY ONE SEEN THIS PROBLEM? wHAT SHOULD I DO?

THANKS MIKE

[ October 09, 2001: Message edited by: albritt ]

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
could be alot of things. Bad fuel. new tank of gas might fix it.
Bad Fuel injector. an injector is stuck open and flooding a cylender.
Head Gasget. there is a blown head gasget, and when the Coolant system pressurizes when warm, it leaks a little bit into the cylender(s) and makes the white smoke
Cold Air. All of our cars use Catalytic converters, which make CO2 and H2O out of the exhaust gasses from the engine. the water might just be condensing when it hits the air. (cats don't work very good when they are cold, meaning there is little water produced)
O2 sensor is bad. Computer might be thinking one side of the engine is running rich.. flooding it.

Many more.. just need to get creative in the analysis

·
Registered
890 Posts
Let me tell you it could be burning oil. Because if it was fuel then it would be dark black. But if its oil then white smoke. SO i would look to see if any kind of oil is leaking into the engine bay and burning up. :eek:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Originally posted by Wutang15m:
Let me tell you it could be burning oil. Because if it was fuel then it would be dark black. But if its oil then white smoke. SO i would look to see if any kind of oil is leaking into the engine bay and burning up. :eek:
I thought fuel burned white and oil burned a dark color. You always see black bumpers on the first caravans and first honda accords, I always thought that was burnt oil.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Oil is blue in the exhaust, Fuel is Black, and water/anti-freeze/most everything else is white. Ever look at your Weed Trimmer? it spurts out blue smoke because it uses the Gas/Oil mixture.

·
Registered
86 Posts
ok to check for a head gasket keep an eye on the oil if it starts to turn whit on the dip stick don't even start the car or else your into tons of dough just toss in some high octane fuel a can of injector cleaner and let er fly on the hwy for a while, might need a good run to clean er out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts