DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battery died from brake lights staying on all night, found the mounted piece behind the brake pedal shaft and re mounted it. Spent 4 days trying to jump start it, to find out it wasnt getting enough gas injected to start (assuming cause i pumped the hell out of the gas pedal while roommate was give me a boost). After that it had a whining noise, very noticable with little presure to gas, also noticable right at start up. At about 60kmh it subsides a little. Could the alternator or starter be a little fried from all the jump start attempts to cause the noise, or more likely the ac belt? (maybe because it sat in -30 weather for 4 days not running?) 2nd car and tring to do as much as i can without the mechanic. my 1st I spent more on repairs then i did paying for the car. (lived 6 months before i gave up on it :glum:)

:smileyvault-newhere:

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Do you do any work yourself? I would suggest making sure the battery is well charged (can start on its own and drive with no issues, sounds like that is the case now), and remove the alternator belt. Then, re-start the car. If the noise is gone, we know it is drive belt related.

Won't be the starter, unless the starter drive is not pulling back after the engine starts.

Can you post a video of the sound?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah starts fine and all that good stuff. Dosent seem to be any flickering of lights or power surges indicating battery failure. 6 month old battery actually. Ill try and get a video of the noise tommorow or wednesday, hopefully that belt removal will be easy. Im not very car smart as far as working on them goes. However did figure the lack of gas out on my own to start the car XD and took apart the doors to replace side view mirrors after someone vandelized them.

·
15,449 Posts
If you have a tool box, the willingness to read and learn, and maybe someone to watch over your shoulder, it isn't that hard to remove the belt.

Someone may even be able to help you out via web-cam - I have done that for people before.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Video

"http://m.youtube.com/index?client=mv-google&desktop_uri=%2F&gl=CA&rdm=4pdv8cga3#/watch?v=jDvgSrPDoa4"

There's 1 video, recorded from inside thecar. Not to noticeable right away, snow and gravel
Sounds until I hit main road.

·
15,449 Posts
First off, what on EARTH is all that white stuff in the yards?

Second - That sounds like transmission noise, personally. Maybe power steering... Check the trans fluid, after warmed up, in neutral, on level ground... See if you are low.

·
Registered
560 Posts
At first I was thinking you're out of power steering fluid. But then I remembered my mom's van made a sound just like that once when it was really cold out and the starter wouldn't disengage for a few minutes. I'd lean towards the starter, especially since you said you were trying to start it for a long time. You might've run it too long and overheated it.

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
The power steering reservoir has a fine screen on the supply side to protect the pump from debris. If you've got a lot of trash in there the flow may be so blocked that the pump cavitates until the fluid is warmed up. This will be more evident in the winter, of course.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
first video is definately power steering. at the first of the video when he hits the end of the alley, he turns the wheel without the car moving, and the pitch changes. sounds like mine on cold days.almost can't steer at startup at -35C.
second i'd say p.s. as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys. Gonna check pawn shops for tools this weekend. Picked up a Haynes Manuel, seems to have lots of direction. Power steering fluid seems full enough but when turning the wheel it whines more. Power steering pump is dying perhaps? I'll go for the belt first when I get the tools, seems its easier and on the way to the pump access anyways. When warmed up whines a little driving but still whines noticeably turning.

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
Whining? Check the reservoir screen! There'll be more trash there than you'd guess.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts