DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice. Car goes from running bad to barely running. Was getting the 0340 code as well as 1391, so I replaced the CMPS. Didn't fix the problem, so I replaced the CKPS. Disconnected battery. Now I get the 1391 code regularly, car still runs poor. When it runs real poor also gives codes 0351, 0355 but assume this is because of the 1391 code. Tach reads, but is jumpy.

How is the 1391 code different than the 0340 and 0341? Should I try yet another new CMPS? The one I purchased was from Autozone. I hate to bring it in to the dealer.

I have seen some great discussion and advice on this site, so I am hopeful you all can help me out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
update: Replaced cmps a second time. Car started up and ran beautifully. Shut down and unhooked battery to reset codes and see if clear. After hooking back up and restarting, ran terrible again. Thought I had it but........? Tonight when checking for loose wires, noticed that if I applied very little pressure to the ckps, the car would increase rpms and then idle beautifully, so I reinstalled the old ckps and the car ran well.

Here is the order of events, although a bit confusing even for me at this point. First, put in a new cmps from retail parts store, still had problem. Put in a new ckps from same store, still had problem. I tried both of these several times to be sure of proper installation. Installed a new (second) cmps from dealer with the old ckps and problem immediately disappeared. First time with no codes during the whole episode. Then just to check, re-installed the retail store cmps and car ran terrible. Put in the dealer cmps and car ran great. In hindsight, both retail store sensors seemed a slight bit smaller in diameter than the originals. I now see that the slightest movement of the wire end of the sensor will greatly affect how the car runs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts