DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To mend my horn not working issue, after checking all external components, I need to open the steering wheel to check if there are lose wire(s) that are causing this.
Any one done this before? If so, how big a job is this, and would the air bag components get fouled up if I do this?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read the thread that KCarlos2000 mention - Great. I dont think I have to go beyond the point where the top part of the steering pops out, as I am not changing the steering column.
Q: From the pictures in that thread, I can see the air bag bolted to the the part of the steering cover that pops out, and hence I have the tendency to believe that the horn module / wiring, would be sandwithched on the under side of the steering cover and the packed air bag. Is this true ???

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone HELP please.
I opened the steering cover - Saw 2 thick yellow cables for the cruise control, one black and one red cable going to the inside and underneath the underside of the steering cover, and one thick module in the centre (thin yellow).
Which one controls the horn?
....Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The most likely cause is a bad "clock spring" which is the slip ring contact between the wiring in the steering wheel and the rest of the car - its purpose is so you don't twist the wires every time you turn the wheel. Typically the contacts go bad or it gets enough of a dirt build up that it does not make good contact.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.