DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
over the last few months ive developed a few problems which i think are related.
99 2.7 with 110,000 miles. oil changed every 3000. taken care of
1st
a strange noise from the engine. in low gears from about 1500 to 2500 rpm i get a rattle sounds. it sounds like a shaking piece of metal inside something. only in those rpms and onle when the engine is hot.

2nd
burning oil. about a quart a week. its always low. ive been using mobile 1 synthetic for about a year so at $5 a quart its getting expensive.

3rd
white smoke when i gun it. im sure related to the oil burning.

so what do i need to do/ check. any help would be appreciated. thx

·
Registered
462 Posts
1 Sounds like piston slap

2 rings, check the pcv

3 rings, checkthe pcv

·
Registered
462 Posts
The PCV is on the manifold. There is a hose that runs to it. Remove the hose with the engine running. You should hear a hissing noise. If you do plug the hose back in. Unplug the hose from the back side of the manifold. Take a piece of thin cardboard or something like it and place it on the hose. It should suck the cardboard or paper closer to the hose. If it does not and the PCV valve is good(you should replace it) replace the hose.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pcv was clogged. could this cause me to burn that much oil? it was so bad that the rubber hose connecting the plastic tube to the valve jsut ripped apart when i pulled on it. it was coated on the inside. the plastic hose flows air but is dirty inside. any ideal on how to clean it? degreaser? thx for the help

·
Registered
462 Posts
The PCV could cause you to burn a lot of oil. replace that and the hose. If you can get the plastic hose off the car, just wash it in dish soap and warn water.

·
Registered
462 Posts
By the way, that rattle noise may have been caused by the same thing. After you get it replaced, see if it is still there.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wrench said:
By the way, that rattle noise may have been caused by the same thing. After you get it replaced, see if it is still there.
thx for the help man. got the valve and rubber hose replaced and the plastic hose clean as a whisle. thx agian and i will let you knw about the noise.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
As Luck would have it. I don't beleive the board knows of a case where a 2.7 has gone bad after using mobil 1 for more than 10k. So maybe it was just the PCV thing.

--Gorm

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
If the metal rattling has stopped with the PCV valve replacement, it was likely that the spring-loaded stopper in the old PCV valve was vibrating (and making noise) in sympathy with the engine at the RPMs mentioned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts