DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by my wife yesterday that the AC in my 300m was not working, so I turned the car on and set the AC at the max cold setting in auto, and sure enough no cold air. I assumed it was a freon problem, because I have had a slow seasonal leak for a while now. I went to the Zone and bought a big can of 134a to recharge. I put it in and drove home (seven miles) and it was already starting to warm up again. I pulled up in the drive and got out, and noticed something dripping under the car. I jacked it up and investigated, and the oil from the freon charge was leaking out of the drain tube on the passenger side of the transmission cove. I have a feeling that their is a freon leak on the passenger inside of the dash, but don't know exactly what to look for or how to diagnose the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 189,000 mile '99 Chrysler 300m.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
if I were you I'd probably take a picture and show exactly what your talking about. Nothing against you, but the A/C system is so complicated; I replaced the evaporator core, receiver drier, replaced o rings, everything and still had a leak...

·
Premium Member
16,698 Posts
If that is oil from the condensate drain then you have a pretty big leak in the evaporator. It's located under the dash, and to replace it, the whole dash has to be removed.

You're sure that is oil coming from the condensate drain (where water usually drips out of when the a.c. is used), and not coming from somewhere else? Is there actually oil up in the rubber drain tube?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty sure that this is the source of the leak. I was afraid I would get the answer you gave me on this. My luck! I don't see where it could be coming from anywhere else. I guess I'll have to call around to get job estimates, because I simply don't have the time to tackle this one by myself. Thanks for the info..:banghead:

·
Registered
117 Posts
AC leak

I have the same issues on my 98ES. Same spot under car next the the exhaust and frame. Try to get some of the blue ice or whatever its called. Its a large blue bottle with a reusable guage on it. It looks like you have a problem with the evap unit which is behind the dash, behind your passanger airbag. My dealer quoted more for that repair then my timing belt and water pump since most of the money is used in pulling the dash out..yeah very nice design chrysler. Try that first cause mine last about a week on one bottle. But again $700 buys alot of gas. If you get a flash light and get under the car you can see this little pipe sticking out with a rubber thing that looks like a plastic snake looking think. Yeah mine was old and fell of then the dealer though i was crazy when i brought it to get a new one...go figure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree, $700.00 does buy quite a good bit. At least a couple of tanks full...LOL. I guess that Southeast Texas humidity will be good for my complexion. It moisturizes the skin to help alleviate wrinkles.:biggrin:

·
Registered
117 Posts
134a leaking

Dude your in Texas...I be ripping my dash apart right now if I lived their.
I just spent 3 hours in my car with 92 outside and 110 on the inside. No way thank god summer is almost over in michigan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeaahhh....I not only have 97 degrees outside with 100% humidity, but the mesquitos are so bad right now, I would spend more time slapping myself than actually turning wrenches. We will probably still be mowing yards at Thanksgiving so I only have to wait until around December for mild dry weather that's primo for these interior escapades. I washed the car day before yesterday, and I think I lost 10 pounds due to all the sweat and blood(from the little bloodsuckers).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts