DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, thanks to everyone on this forum. You all are very knowledgeable from what I've been reading, and it's helped me make some of my choice making a little easier in dealing with my car... on to the story...

my wife was driving my 99 corde (2.7L) to work, and the engine siezed on her while she was on the freeway (thank GOD there was no traffic that morning). Anyway, we had it towed to the closest shop, where they basically told me that there was no oil in the engine and that the engine failure was due to poor maintenance. This, of course, is BULLSHIT, as an oil change was done 2 weeks before this occured, and I had the paper trail to prove it. I take car of any car I have, because i know how expensive car repair can be. After doing research on here and the rest of the net... I've come to find out that either the 2.7L really sucks or you get lucky if it doesnt go out on you...

The car starts, but it knocks like CRAZY... I asked my mechanic, the same one who fixed up my wife's ford, about the engines, and he said, in a pretty condescending manner, "yeah i know abot them, they're terrible". Needless to say, I was told I need a new engine. I've called around for pricing, and the CHEAPEST i've been told was $4K for the part and the work. I wont pay that much, since I only paid 3K for the car... I thought about buying the engine myself and putting it in, but as my name says, i'm not mechanically inclined when it comes to cars....

Is there ANY WAY POSSIBLE that I can get either my engine fixed or a new engine put in for $2K or less? I really dont want to sell the car for parts, because the MOST i'm getting offered is $300, only a tenth of what I paid. So far, it looks like I might be better off getting a 3.2L instead of another 2.7

·
Registered
531 Posts
Has to be possible though I've heard 2.7's go for a premium price. Might be cheaper to have yours rebuilt than to put in a decent used one? $4000 sounds awfully steep; maybe upgrading to a 3.5 would be feasible and cheaper too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you live around Washington, I will give you $500 for it. If not, I may let you in on my secret, hehe...

Edit: How many miles are on it? Did you neglect the oil change to maybe 3500 miles a couple times?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ka Mate said:
If you live around Washington, I will give you $500 for it. If not, I may let you in on my secret, hehe...

Edit: How many miles are on it? Did you neglect the oil change to maybe 3500 miles a couple times?

I've had 2 oil changes on it. the first was when i got the car at about 126K, the second was when the car hit 128k. I know that high mileage american cars need changes sooner than 3000 miles...

what secret? I'd realy like to keep the car instead of sell it

·
Registered
71 Posts
How much of a mechanic are you? What I'd suggest you do; take off the oil pan and the windage tray (it's a big plate that covers the crankshaft). The caps to the connecting rod journal for the number 1 piston take a weird socket, 10.5mm on my car, and check the piston bearing. The knocking may be the journal slopping the width of the bearing against the crankshaft. If that is the case, you're going to need to take the motor out to pull the crankshaft out and get it resurfaced (that's if you want to keep this car for a duration of time).
The other thing I'd try, do a compression test. The first Intrepid that we dove into the head gasket was gone and compression was down. The current one it looks like bad rings because compression is down but the oil wasn't contaminated which rules out a head gasket problem. It could alone be a head gasket, unlikely, and the noise is gas escaping from the seal. But it sounds like more of a knock and the crankshaft is the better place to start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.