DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just recently bought a 99 intrepid and the gear shift was hard to get in gear after it was parked for a couple of hours the dealer told me it was soda that was spilled(ha) well i went out this morning and tried to get it in gear and broke the shifter off. i moved the car in gear using a pair of channel locks but now it is hard even to do that what should i do???

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is this a fairly simple procedure? how common is this for the automatic with autostick to do this?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I believe there was a recall for this, the interlock shift cable. You must be pretty strong because I dont think that the shift knob and the whole metal bar breaks off it was just the cable making it hard to shift on slopes

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, my driveway is on a slope! i sure would appreciate the help. should i take the car in to see if they will fix the recall?

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
if you broke the shifter out of the car, they probably wont repair it under warrenty, like i said, maybe go to the junkyard or go thru the buy-sell-trade section. maybe someone will have what you need.

HTH
Bruce

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
jpwatson said:
should i take the car in to see if they will fix the recall?
Yes. Try it and see. Worse they can say is no.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
The recall won't cover that. The recall is for the key-shift interlock. What happens is if you pull hard enough the shifter will come out of park without the key being in.

·
9,861 Posts
What exactly broke? The shifter itself? or the end on the cable?

As long as the cable end is still intact, theres no reason to replace it. Just should need to replace the shifter (or whatever part it is that you snaped/broke.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Hypnos said:
What exactly broke? The shifter itself? or the end on the cable?

As long as the cable end is still intact, theres no reason to replace it. Just should need to replace the shifter (or whatever part it is that you snaped/broke.
Until the next dhifter is broken. He needs to fix the problem first.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The shifter itself broke right at the point where it contacts the base. Getting a new shifter will only bandaid the problem. what causes it to be so hard to get out of park. Does the release button go bad not letting it to disengage?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dabirdz96 said:
if you broke the shifter out of the car, they probably wont repair it under warrenty, like i said, maybe go to the junkyard or go thru the buy-sell-trade section. maybe someone will have what you need.

HTH
Bruce

where do i find the buy-sell-trade section?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey guys just got the diagnosis from the dealership! They said the recall would cover the broken shifter knob but not the cable. Just what some of you were saying the only problem is now that the shifter knob has been replaced i got to get it home from the dealer. They are asking 176.00 for the part and labor. This seems a little high, but if the job is very difficult it could actualy save me alot of headache and time. wha tdo you guys think?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I think i know what you are talking about my car used to do that when i first bought it (00) but when i put my cold cathodes in i had to tke a part the shifter and when i put it back on i made the screw a lil tighter and never had the problem since...but just yesterday i ****ed up my shifter because when i was doing a mod i had to take it apart again and when i tried to screw it back in the screw wouldn't go in then i notice that it was all stripped on the inside from me trying to screw it in...so be careful if you take it apart...

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
if i recalll when i pulled my shifter apart its nothing but screws holding it down. maby a 20 min job to swap out your broken one and one from a junkyard

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Peppa Boy said:
if i recalll when i pulled my shifter apart its nothing but screws holding it down. maby a 20 min job to swap out your broken one and one from a junkyard
yep if you are talking about that lil plastic one button ****er lol yea only one star shaped screw...cant rememer exact size though...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts