DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's the situation, 99 stratus with about 100k miles. 2.4L engine. Pulled the head off and the shop said they would have ot take off 22-25 thousanths to fix it. They did not suggest I do this, but said that they would. The other option I am looking at is a used head that comes from a junk yard, and is machined and presure tested for apx $150 delivered. It would be less than half the price if I went with machining the old one, I'm just looking for advice from people who have a little knowledge on these cars. It looks like some of the valves are a little close to the surface too take that much off. Thanks for any input.
-Taaf-

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
I dont see a problem taking 25 thousandths off, as long as the right head gasket is used. Napa makes a 3 piece metal head gasket for these engines that is perfect for this. There are also copper shims available that are installed along with the head gasket to bring the height back into spec, if the 3 piece head gasket is not enough. The machine shop should know if it is or isnt. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Here's out of the service manual for the Stratus 2.4L:

" End to end, the head should be no more than 0.008 inch (0.2mm) out-of-true. If the service limit is exceeded, correct to meet specifications. Note that the maximum amount of stock allowed to be removed from the cylinder head and mating cylinder block is 0.0079 inch (0.2mm). If the cylinder head cannot be made serviceable by removing this amount, replace the head. "

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow, only 8 thousanths allowed. The shop was alright with up to about 18 thousanths but was hesitant with the idea of 22 to 25. Thanks for the info Strongt. I found a used head with a one year warrenty machined and shipped for 150. That isn't too bad.
-Taaf-

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
2.4 Dohc? if so,, use a manual for a Neon,, same engine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts