DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
couple nights ago i was driving to work in my parents eddie i notice it was running rough so when i got to work i checked the oil well it was low so i put some in it and it still running rough well today my dad took the car to the shop and the guy said that number 8 piston is bad i don't think it is because it don't smoke or nothing just run rough...

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
Haven't dealt with one of them motors much from a 99 Explorer body, but you might find out how it is known to be bad. If it is low compression, you can do a few other things with it to find out where the compression is going, then decide from there if it is worth fixing. I'm guessing head gasket, personaly.

·
15,449 Posts
Wet, or dry 50 pounds? Need to do a leak down test on it to see where the air is going, but I'm guessing that it needs a head gasket and wouldn't hurt to lap the valves while you have it apart - but the leak down test will confirm that.

So, you gonna do the work?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wet, or dry 50 pounds? Need to do a leak down test on it to see where the air is going, but I'm guessing that it needs a head gasket and wouldn't hurt to lap the valves while you have it apart - but the leak down test will confirm that.

So, you gonna do the work?
well me and dad was going too but we are very busy he called a couple places and he can get a new motor with only 65k for 430 dollers and right down the road some guy will put it in for 600 bucks

·
15,449 Posts
heh, IMO motor swaps are either pass or fail - but nice to use that as the test rig, and not your own car. Because the swaps aren't in the regular shop manuals, you may have trouble getting the shop to do the work for you. Good luck with it though, there are a few shops that will.

If you've got a cherry picker though, the swap at home isn't that hard to do, and will save you some serious dough.

·
15,449 Posts
You know Dan, Daytrepper, has 'published' a book about it, right? If you can put together a bookshelf using instructions, you should be able to do this swap following his instructions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Intrepid-2-7-3-2-3-5-Engine-Conversion-Manual-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3364da9073QQitemZ220735377523QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature

Sure, you might get stuck, but with a little home work and research into your NEW motor, you should be able to minimize failure points with used motors and come out on top.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts