DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals - my first post here and a problem with my 99 Intrepid with standard 6 cylinder. After reaching full temperature and being shut down for a while it will not start, but it is an intermittant problem. Happens maybe 25% of the time. After cranking the engine repeatedly and waiting a few minutes it will eventually start and barely idle without dying out for a minute or two and will then resume running completely normally. I live in Florida and this problem only occurs in the heat of summer and after the car has been running for a while and then left sitting for 10 plus minutes. It ALWAYS starts easliy when the engine is cold. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
My guess would be an injector is failing/failed and is leaking. Recommend a leakdown test on the fuel rail.

Is yours a 2.7 or 3.2 engine?

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
I'd have to do a search myself, but some years had a TSB on hard-starting while in a hot-soak condition...

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,523 Posts
I'd have to do a search myself, but some years had a TSB on hard-starting while in a hot-soak condition...
Yep, sounds like it might be the TSB ECM reprogram issue....if it was built in 98 as a 99 model.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Did you ever get to the bottom of your issue. I have a daughter in WA with the same type of issue, we have had 2 fuel pumps and now a fuel pump relay replaced. It seems to never fail at the mechanics, but it fails on her almost daily

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Did you ever get to the bottom of your issue. I have a daughter in WA with the same type of issue, we have had 2 fuel pumps and now a fuel pump relay replaced. It seems to never fail at the mechanics, but it fails on her almost daily
I had this problem with my 98. There are several threads on here about the "hot soak" problem. I took mine to the dealer and had them re-flash the PCM. It cost $96.
The problem has not returned and the car runs better than ever.

This is one of those threads: http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/showthread.php?t=190117

--Terry

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank you, I will have them look at that. She is in Seattle where it doesn't get as warm as in Florida, but the symptoms are the same.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Thank you, I will have them look at that. She is in Seattle where it doesn't get as warm as in Florida, but the symptoms are the same.
Re-flashing the PCM brought the firmware up-to-date.
Like a desktop running Windows 3.2 and then installing XP.

Between 1998 and 2004 they probably tweaked everything more than once.

--Terry

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have found out from the dodge dealer in CO, that the computer was programmed when they replaced the fuel pump. Thanks I will keep looking

·
Registered
23 Posts
Her car is getting worse now, the check engine light is on and she feels like when she is driving on the highway that she has to put her foot to the floor to keep her car moving. She doesn't feel like it is dying and then restarting, but she feels a jerky motion when her rpm kick back in. She has another appointment today, hopefully they will figure it out since it seems to be getting worse.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Her car is getting worse now, the check engine light is on and she feels like when she is driving on the highway that she has to put her foot to the floor to keep her car moving. She doesn't feel like it is dying and then restarting, but she feels a jerky motion when her rpm kick back in. She has another appointment today, hopefully they will figure it out since it seems to be getting worse.
This has got to be really frustrating for you with her in Seattle and you in Colorado!
I'm really sorry that the re-flash didn't help.
Mine only had 70k on it so, I didn't even bother looking at the fuel pump.
I just asked them to bring the PCM up-to-date.

Hopefully she has better luck this afternoon!

·
Registered
23 Posts
It did throw a misfire code. It was definitely running rough this morning, they reset the computer and took it for a drive and now it is running fine. Still can't get it to fail on a restart. I have faxed the mechanic all the information I am finding on this site. thanks for your help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
she got it to fail today for the mechanic. He has tested it and says it is a failure injector circuit. Says that either the cam/crank sensor or is in the computer. She is coming home for the holidays so he is going to keep it and try to determine which. He tells me computers come iwth the vin #, so you just can't get a used one? ??? Is that correct?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
she got it to fail today for the mechanic. He has tested it and says it is a failure injector circuit. Says that either the cam/crank sensor or is in the computer. She is coming home for the holidays so he is going to keep it and try to determine which. He tells me computers come iwth the vin #, so you just can't get a used one? ??? Is that correct?
Does her car have security? A grey key (security) or a black key (non-security).

I have swapped computers successfully between non-secure cars (both cars had black keys).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts