DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
'99 Intrepid 3.2L
Parked for 3 days, now no start, but will crank.
Clues:
I don't hear fuel pump prime. No fuel pressure at rail
If I spray with starting fliud, there's a little bit of firing, like 1 cylinder almost trying, poorly
but it's really breif, otherwise no firing then it dies qiuckly, nothing like a normal run on starting fliud.
No codes.
Replaced Crank Sensor. Unplugged Cam Sensor and it did throw that code.
Checked all fuses
Moved Relays around

I'm clueless now. Any ideas?
Many thanks in advance,
Sean

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Hammer the tank from the bottom where the fuel pick-up is. Best test is to have an assistant cranking the car. (3 Seconds at a time) and see if the pump will live again. Granted, it will be a short life if it does start.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
'99 Intrepid 3.2L
Parked for 3 days, now no start, but will crank.
Clues:
I don't hear fuel pump prime. No fuel pressure at rail
If I spray with starting fliud, there's a little bit of firing, like 1 cylinder almost trying, poorly
but it's really breif, otherwise no firing then it dies qiuckly, nothing like a normal run on starting fliud.
No codes.
Replaced Crank Sensor. Unplugged Cam Sensor and it did throw that code.
Checked all fuses
Moved Relays around

I'm clueless now. Any ideas?
Many thanks in advance,
Sean

Update: 5v to throttle body, 8v to camshaft sensor ....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hammer the tank from the bottom where the fuel pick-up is. Best test is to have an assistant cranking the car. (3 Seconds at a time) and see if the pump will live again. Granted, it will be a short life if it does start.
Will do. I think it would have fired with the starting fliud though even if the pump was bad... going to grab son and a rubber mallet... lol thx.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Hitting with rubber mallet didn't do anything. Thanks though.
Under the back seat bottom and on the passenger side is the connector for the fuel pump and level sender. You can test there while cranks again and see if there is voltage to drive the pump. Wiring colors are in FSM for the pump or, perhaps someone remembers off the top which ones drive the pump.

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
Bad cam sensor should not affect startup - unless there's a short, it only affects the engine above 2200 RPM, IIRC.

When you say you checked fuses - run your ohmmeter across the underhood fuses; a hairline crack can be missed visually. We've seen more than one instance of a bad fuse actually looking ok; only way it was found was replacing it or measuring continuity across it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Checked 'em. They are all good. Thx.

Bad cam sensor should not affect startup - unless there's a short, it only affects the engine above 2200 RPM, IIRC.

When you say you checked fuses - run your ohmmeter across the underhood fuses; a hairline crack can be missed visually. We've seen more than one instance of a bad fuse actually looking ok; only way it was found was replacing it or measuring continuity across it.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Have you tried jumping the duty side of the ASD relay and fuel pump relay? It would help to determine if there is a supply voltage problem in the circuits. A test light will find the availability of voltage present. Jumping the duty side, (With the relay removed), Will allow your helper to listen for the fuel pump running while jumped.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
It means the pump and the wiring to it are all working. The pump may still be bad, e.g. low fuel pressure etc. I have on extreme rare cases seen where more than one relay is bad as well. However, there is also the possibility of a faulty ground in this circuit as well. Getting the pump to turn and make noise is a start.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I have 12v at the socket for the asd and TCM. NO power at fuel pump relay.

If I put power to the plug under the rear seat with a batter charger the pump works. I did thta for a few seconds, took it off, and the car ran for a few seconds. did that twice. Didn't want to hook it up too long, but am curious if I ran 12v to the fuel pump whether it will stay running or not and what that might mean. .... I at least need to move it outta the grass away from the dog poop. :/

Do you have power, (12v +) at the sockets?

41 Posts
I see you can hear the fuel pump now. It maybe going bad.Test fuel pressure at rail? When is the last time the fuel filter was replaced? Just throwing this out there, i know you are not supposed to do this but try mashing the gas peddle to the floor while cranking for a few seconds. I had this similiar problem with my 2.7. I sprayed starting fluid and it didn't even make a cough, mashed the peddle to the floor and she fired right up ! Issue hasn't returned ! Sometimes with a no start issue, and because of prolonged cranking time the engine will become flooded. Have you pulled a spark plug to see if its wet?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thx. Only hear fuel pump when I hook it up directly to the battery charger. Then the car will start. Something is turning it off. Plugs are dry.

I see you can hear the fuel pump now. It maybe going bad.Test fuel pressure at rail? When is the last time the fuel filter was replaced? Just throwing this out there, i know you are not supposed to do this but try mashing the gas peddle to the floor while cranking for a few seconds. I had this similiar problem with my 2.7. I sprayed starting fluid and it didn't even make a cough, mashed the peddle to the floor and she fired right up ! Issue hasn't returned ! Sometimes with a no start issue, and because of prolonged cranking time the engine will become flooded. Have you pulled a spark plug to see if its wet?

41 Posts
Thx. Only hear fuel pump when I hook it up directly to the battery charger. Then the car will start. Something is turning it off. Plugs are dry.
All wiring, fuses and relays associated with the fuel pump good?
Check them very carefully. Alot of time you can not tell by visual inspection.
A multimeter will isolate the issue for you !
Try tested a few feet of wire at a time until you find a voltage difference or none at all with the key on engine off.

Try switching the fuel pump relay with another known good relay in the power distrubution center under the hood.

I would work back from the connection that you hooked up the battery charger too, from the connection back to the engine compartment. ALSO CHECK THE GROUNDS ASSOCIATED WITH THE FUEL PUMP AND FUEL PUMP WIRING !

This sounds like a wiring, ground, fuse or relay issue to me, and not mechanical.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,841 Posts
Fuse 13 in the Junction Block and Fuse G in the Power Distribution Center.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.