DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone:

Does anyone have a pinout of the splice block at the top of the PDC for the early 2nd gens (mine=1999)?

Its that 18 pin connector at the top there.

Is this a place to debug the PCI network? I saw that described on a chrysler specific diagnostic video but I can't find the pinout to it anywhere.

TIA,
-Kevin

·
Premium Member
16,635 Posts
Those pins either are not connected, or possibly have some factory test purpose - I do not see any mention of them in 1999 or ‘00 FSMs section 8W. I just spent about 20 minutes comparing that area of the PDC to the ‘02 FSM. See the corresponding ‘02 illustration of the PDC bellow. It would take a couple of hours to gather the screen shots of the wiring diagrams of the corresponding circuits between ‘99 and ‘02 for the 5 fuses that were added to that area. Suffice it to say that Fuses U thru Y were added in ‘01. Several wiring circuits were redesigned in ‘01 and ‘02. Some, like the starter relay and ASD relay simply had uninterrupted wires in ‘99, but Fuses V and W were added in line to those wires in ‘01. Without spending a lot of time researching the other of those added fuses, it appears that some were similarly added into existing circuits, or were for new features (console power outlet Fuse Y, police spit light Fuse X, etc.) - see screen shot of hints of that below the ‘02 PDC screen shot. You’ll have to get a ‘99 or ‘00 and later FSMs and spend some time comparing in section 8W to go further into this.

Well - for some reason, I now get a security warning when I try to attach images to my posts - using my iPhone - probably new changes in my employer’s security settings. Will post the images later from my home desktop.

For now, bottom line, whatever connections (if any) that area of the PDC had in ‘99 and ‘00 are undocumented in the FSM, but it was totally changed to add new Fuses U thru Y starting in ‘01.

·
Premium Member
16,635 Posts
Gettin’ paranoid. I found a setting in my phone that was the problem - here are the screen shots I was talking about:

From ‘02 FSM - notice new Fuses U thru Y.

These fuses did not exist in ‘99 & ‘00 MYs:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your research @peva

Check out this video where I've linked it. I may have had my terminology wrong. He calls it a "joint connector" and does strongly imply it's the splice for the PCI bus. Also, if you rewind it you'll see in their schematic (which I know may not be for precisely this car) it shows the splice is in the front driver's side (which is probably this connector). He did say those joint connectors "went away" in the later cars (like what appears in the documents you shared). I suppose its possible the functionality had gone away by 99 but the joint connector remained. I haven't pulled mine yet to see if it has any conductors. I guess, absent any prints my next step will be to make some myself by ohming it out between the joint connector and the connectors in at the BCM.

·
Premium Member
16,635 Posts
A very interesting video - the guy obviously knows his stuff.

I found this paragraph in the ‘00 and ‘02 FSMs:

PROGRAMMABLE COMMUNICATIONS INTERFACE (PCI) BUS DESCRIPTION
The Programmable Communication Interface Multiplex system (PCI Bus) consist of a single wire. The Body Control Module (BCM) acts as a splice to connect each module and the Data Link Connector (DLC) together. Each module is wired in parallel to the data bus through its PCI chip set and uses its ground as the bus reference. The wiring is a minimum 20 gage wire.

...and the page below from section 8W - from the ‘02 FSM - very similar page in ‘00 FSM. Of the 10 wires on the BCM shown, 8 are on the same connector pins in the two FSMs.

My personal opinion: The BCM is your PCI junction. I’m not saying that area in the PDC couldn’t be one also - the generalization about that in the video may be right, but the evidence says maybe not for these cars. Though the wiring diagrams in the FSMs aren’t always perfect, I would have expected them to show the PCI junction in the PDC if it was there. In any case, it got eliminated in 2001. It will be interesting to hear what you find out if you dig into the PDC.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, interesting thing I found. Don't know exactly what to make of it. I found on the PCM and MIC there was a connection to several pins of the joint connector. They were not a direct short (usually around 1k ohms to start) and they were going thru capacitors (steadily rising impedance). I didn't check all the PCI bus connections on the white BCM connector yet.

I'll map it all out here in a little bit. I went out to try and re-scope all the PCI at the BCM to make sure I know for sure what I was looking for but the sunlight was too bright to see the screen so I'm going to try again here after dark

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, and another thing, is both of those modules appeared to connect to exactly the same pins of the joint connector with the same impedance/capacitance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts