DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my A/C belt is off, how difficult is it, and how do i replace them both??

·
Registered
33 Posts
On my 94' 3.3L Trep, is piece of cake...Just need to remove the main belt by loosing up the excentric on the alternator area, in order to gain access to the A/C belt. From that point you just need to loose the A/C belt tensioner from below, and you are done with the removal.

The installation is reversed. Just be careful to leave the belts well tensioned. How would you know it is well tensioned? When you are no able to twist by hand the inside of the belt to the outside. You will know.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Judgeing by your profile you have a 2000 R/T? If you do indeed have this car, it is tricky. If you have a 3.2 or 3.5L engine it can't be done unless you have the chrysler special tool. You can physically replace it your self but without the tool you can't adjust the belt to the proper tension. Somebody on here might have a work around to get the tension without the tool. But if the tension is off even by 10 inch pounds it can cause a bunch of nasty noises when it is cool out. But to change the belt without adjusting the tensions just losen the bolt holding the tensioner pully on. Then start loosening the bolt that is coming out of the side of the tensioner. On the A/C belt it is pointing downward and on the serpentine belt it is point upward. As you loosen the bolt the tension on the belt will get looser and looser. Once it is loose enough just pull the belt off. Read the instructions in reverse to replace the belt.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i indeed have the R/T 3.5. thanks for the input

1 - 5 of 5 Posts