DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To make things worse the passenger side fan is busted on my car and it will start to overheat if i leave the a/c on for to long on a 100+ degree day."Suspect a partially stuck closed thermostat" Today on the way to work my car started to run a little hot so i hit the a/c button "on my non ATC trep to turn off the system and let the engine cool off, But it was still blowing cold air! I started hitting the button and turning the blower dial on and off to try and unstick it but to no avail and my temp needle started to peg with that scarry temp light comming on and i was in deadlock traffic. So i turned the car off popped the hood and pulled the a/c clutch relay circuit lol Started the car back up and it cooled right off. Question is will not having an a/c relay damage the compressor? Trep is going in for work under the warrenty on tuesday.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
First, you might want to get that fan fixed. Second, no I don't think you run the risk of damaging anything by leaving the A/C relay out. Are you sure the compressor is staying on? Look at it with the engine running and make sure its working like it should. Just because the engine didn't start to immediately cool down when you shut the A/C off doesn't really mean anything. It takes a little while for the car to start to cool. Have you checked the relay for that fan? One thing that will help if your car is overheating is turn the temp dial to fully hot and turn on the blower on full blast. Yeah, I know you get a car full of hot air, but the heater core acts just like the radiator (ideally its a mini radiator) and the blower motor just like a rad fan. It sucks to deal with blowing hot air in the car, but its better than melting down an engine.

BTW, I miss Vegas. I lived out there for a few months in '93.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts