DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My a/c isn't working. If I take off the belt will its removal affect anything else?

p.s. Moparfest August 19 & 20 2006 Newhamburg Ont. (1hr west of Toronto)

http://www.moparfest.com/Directions.html

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
what size engine? isn't the 3.3's all one belt, where as the 3.5 has a seperate belt for the a/c, correct me if I'm wrong

·
Registered
44 Posts
The 3.3 has a separate V-belt for the A/C compressor. The serpentine belt drives the water pump, alternator and power steering.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the help, and yes the belt only attaches to the A/C compressor.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
3.3 and 3.5 have a seperate belt for the A/C. It only goes from the crank, to the idler pulley, and then to the compressor.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
95Intrepisize said:
No it won't effect anything else. But good luck getting it back on. Only take it off if your set on giving a day to put it back together.
so is it really that hard? thats my project for next weekend.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I don't agree. If a 3.5 you simply loosten the idler for the serpentine and off it comes. Loosten the idler for the A/C, from the bottom, and reinstall the belt. Tighten the idler. Replace the serpentine and tighten it's idler. If it takes more than 1/2 hour then there's something wrong.

If you simply want to remove the belt and never use it again, just cut it.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
yea, that's what I was gonna say, if the compressor is fubar, just cut the damn belt, you have no use for it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts