DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 96 intrep with the 3.5, and i am having problems with the a/c compressor. the front bearing is in need of replacement and i have a few questions.

1. the shop would like to replace the entire clutch and compressor assembly, this obviously would require a ENTIRE evacuation and recharge of the 134a.

2. is the bearing serviceable without removing the pump from the car. i figure if i can replace the bearing with out removing the pump this would save a lot of money since the a/c still blows cold.

if anyone had a exploded view of the pump / compressor and service diagram i would appriciate it.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
The bearing is part of the 3 piece clutch assembly. You can unbolt
the compressor from the engine and change the clutch plate,pulley/bearing,and coil without disturbing the freon system.
Search this site for the PDF'd Factory Shop Manual for A/C clutch replacement. (It's a 2002 version, but the A/C is close enough to to show you how) Four bolts for compressor, one on the pulley center, and two snap rings. Piece of cake!!
Oh yeah, you need snap ring"pliers", the kind that expand the ring when you squeeze them. Certainly not $200-500 worth of garage labor!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ALARKYOKIE,

i was thinking that the garage labor was a litle out of context. the thing i dont get is the bearing squeeels when it is below 10 degrees and the a/c is off. i am now thining it must be the clutch because the pump is not even spinning without a/c on. right?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Right. The pulley is turning when the engine is running. The pulley has it's own bearing,supported by it's attachment to the compressor body. Internally the compressor shaft has it's own bearings(I guess-never went in one...)
the '02 manual might be here. : http://www.cis.umassd.edu/~u_sgeary...rviceManual.zipBADLINK!nevermind..
page 24-10 fig.1,2,3,4 willhelp.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so in hypotheticly i could replace the clutch and that would include a new clutch idler bearing, right. i guess i would have to see one. your link does not work.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Well... It's an old one I found here... let me keep looking-

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Kennundrum: can you help 5ldoner out? I tried one of you pdf links- wouldn't go there...(Section 24 page 10) CONTROLS/ a/c compressor clutch.
5ldoner-PM (personal message) Kennundrum if he doesn't come on line...

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
ldoner: I can e-mail you a zip fileof the FSM if you PM me an address...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pdf file works great, great format! thanks for all the help. it looks like i can servide just the clutch for about 75.00 from autozone. maybe it is worth a shot. thanks guys

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Just curious- what did the"factory authorized service" facility want
for a repair?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
THAT'S WHAT I LIKE About this site!! Saving Money- keeping it from the dealers..!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah you bet, sorry but i did not specify that this was not a mopar service center it was a local branch / shop

1 - 14 of 14 Posts