DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about 5yrs ago I overcharged my A/C and the relief valve popped on the compressor. it vented some freon but seemed to seat itself. so every year I have to put in about 1 can of freon over the summer. the a/c seems to work ok till yesterday. I was 1 block from home and I heard a screeching sound for a few seconds and my engine bobbled a bit. I could smell smoke so I flipped off the a/c switch and pulled into my driveway. I even saw some smoke from under the hood. Yikes. not good. I think the compressor seized and the screech was from the clutch slipping? does that sound like the right scenario? seized compressor and slipping clutch?

·
Registered
31 Posts
probably a burning belt that was a goner after the ac clutch sized.

maybe time to get a new compressor and a/c clutch check the black grunge of death inside your ac lines ( look up air conditioning tech page on compressors)
in google to verify compressor death.

loose freon :bouncgrin

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used to work at a company that built refrigerated appliances. I was pretty friendly with the lab techs and we were tweaking car a/c systems all the time. I plan on yanking out the comp. and receiver/accumulator and flushing the system but will have to take it to a garage to have it evacuated and recharged.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
It wasn't what is now known as Electrolux in St Cloud, is it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts