DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okj first of all I know there are a ton of A/C threads already. I did search and I read the ultimate faq but I still couldn't really get definitive info. Here is my problem. The A/C comes on and cools the air so I'm assuming the compressor, clutch, transducer, etc. are ok. The air just isn't that cold so I'm thinking I just need a recharge. I want to get a DIY kit, but I'm not sure exactly what to get. I'vI heard to stay away from the stuff with stop leak so my question is with oil or not and what type and concentration of oil? Or, will I be better off getting just the refrigerant and adding oil seperately if I do need it? Also, if I'm low on refrigerant so that must mean I have a leak. My car is 6 years old and still has some refrigerant so I'm thinking the leak can't be that bad so it is probablynot worth fixing right-worse case maybe I'll have to recharge it every year or so. Sorry for the long post - thanks guys!

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Come on people. I'm leaving work soon and if I don't pick up some refrigerant on my way home I might have to drive to school tomorrow with poor performing a/c (GASP!!)

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
My '95 ES was like that....started with a real slow leak, all it took was a recharge every year, then it got to be every 6 months, then every month, then like once a week, then it would leak out the same day I put it in. I always added some oil first then the R-134a. Most likely its your evaporator that is leaking, common problem on these cars. Pain in the ass to get to and replace since its buried in your dash.
You could try the neon dye r-134a and put a black light near the motor to see if anything in the bay is leaking....and I believe if the evap is bad you'll see it in the cabin too.

Also, if you decide to use the sealer stuff in a can, remember that if it doesn't work or you want to get it fixed the correct way farther down the road, most repair shops either won't do it or charge alot more since the sealer will gum up their equipment when they try to vacuum the system down. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats why I figured I'd stay away from the sealant stuff. If I do recharge it theres no way it can make it worse(or can I?) so worst case scenario I have to get it repaired down the road anyway so its worth a try right?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
u can overcharge it which is bad, it will make the evaporator core go bad, which is ***** to replace, its located BEHIND the dash. Imagine the work there.

By the way, I asked about evaporator core's for the Intrepid and apparently there are 2 styles of cores for it????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts