DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for the pressures for the low and high side. I've tried searching, but I cant seem to find them anywhere.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I just charged a 3.5 LHS Saturday. The low valve should have a little plastic cap over it which may have an "L" on it. I popped the hood and found it immediately without ever doing a 3.5. I don’t even remember exactly where it was but I want to say it’s on the left front (that’s your left front while facing the engine, closest to the bumper).
You can’t charge the high since the fitting on the charge can will only fit the low valve.

-GB49

·
Registered
982 Posts
Ward said:
I'm looking for the pressures for the low and high side. I've tried searching, but I cant seem to find them anywhere.
High & low A/C pressure is going to vary greatly depending on ambient temperature and other factors. So there really is not a specific pressure reading for either. Typically low side is between around 25-45psi and high side is 150-300psi. with the higher of the readings at higher temperatures and fully charged.
There is a whole lot more to A/C than just the actual readings! And be careful on the high side as it is capable of producing and leaking refrigerant at very high pressures which can be very dangerous!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I topped it off, it took about half a can. At idle, I was getting about 30psi on the low side, and about 210 on the high. According to my OTIS display, it was 95 degrees outside. I found a rule-of-thumb formula that said the high side for R134 should be 2.2 to 2.5 times the ambient temp in farenheit, so 210 is pretty close. It seems to be blowing colder now, but I wont be sure until tomorrow, when I drive in the mid-day heat.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Ward said:
Well, I topped it off, it took about half a can. At idle, I was getting about 30psi on the low side, and about 210 on the high. According to my OTIS display, it was 95 degrees outside. I found a rule-of-thumb formula that said the high side for R134 should be 2.2 to 2.5 times the ambient temp in farenheit, so 210 is pretty close. It seems to be blowing colder now, but I wont be sure until tomorrow, when I drive in the mid-day heat.
That sounds about normal. At 95 degrees outside you won't get much more than 30psi out of the small r134 cans of freon. If it still needs more R134 you will probably have to cool down the condensor by spraying it with water while it is charging to get the low side below 30psi so it will take a little more freon.
Also the output air should be about 40degrees F less than the outside temp. during hot weather.
But about the only way to be sure it is fully charged is to evacuate it and measure the R134 as it goes in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts