DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched for awhile and didn't come up with an answer, so here we go...

A few months back, my dad and I were cruising along on the highway doing about 70 mph. All of a sudden, we hear this buzzing and the automatic heater stops working. So we turned off the heat and continued to drive because the temperature guage wasn't moving and the car was still running fine. When we got home, we looked under the hood and found that the a/c belt was torn up and laying inside the engine compartment. So we let it go for awhile being it was just the a/c belt and just recently got around to replacing it. I took it for a test drive after the belt was on just to see if everything was working how it was supposed to be, but there was still a buzzing coming from the engine when the automatic heater was on. When the manual heat was on, it sounded normal and ran fine. From what I've read on here, it's the a/c compressor, which I had already assumed. The question I have is do I go about replacing the entire compressor, or can I just replace one part of the compressor? Any feedback is greatly appreciated so thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I think you'd have to replace the whole compressor. Me personally I would probably have the compressor changed instead of doing it yourself, seems like a lot of work to me. You'll have to get the air conditioner discharged, disconnect the battery, remove the electrical connectors from the compressor clutch, remove drivebelt, take off the refridgerant lines from the compressor and plug them (of course) to keep dirt and moisture from getting in, unbolt the compressor from its bracket. Thats a lot of work in my opinion. From my research since you're installing a new compressor, you should pour out the oil from the old compressor and put new refridgerant oil in, which needs to match that exact amount. There's a possiblity the clutch from the old compressor needs be transferred.

Like I said, thats a job in my opinion. I would just have it replaced by someone who knows that they're doing, unless you have proper experience with air conditioning systems. My father used to work on air conditioners and heaters for a living (before he passed) and I'll tell you working on air conditioners is a *****. But if you have experience with it, I say go for it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
About a month ago my AC belt snapped. I thought it was beacause I hadn't run the AC in a while and perhaps the belt was weak, as I can't remember the last time I changed it. Well, this weekend my dad and I replaced both belts on my 3.2, set the tension correctly and hoped for the best. When we started up the car to test out our work everything look great and the belts were working perfectly. Then, I asked my dad to engage the AC and thats when the compressor pulley started bog and stutter. The AC belt started the squeal and burn around the AC pulley (the smell was aweful). When we shut of the AC, it ran fine. My diagnosis is that the AC compressor is finished. I'm not sure how the compressor works internally, but from what I understand by reading on this site, once they go, it must be replaced. Because my dad works for NAPA he can get a new one for 260CDN with his discount. I think we'll probably replace the compressor ourselves and have our family mechanic do the rest.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts