DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed weak to non-existent A/C this week-end. Checked it out at lunch today (non-existent was the closer guess). The clutch isn't engaging (or even trying).

I pulled the connector, seems fine. I popped the relay out (this gave me P0645- open circuit at A/C relay) So, the relay seems to be 'in-touch' with the system. Fuses are OK. I printed the wiring scheme and there seems to be a pressure transducer in the mix. Doesn't seem to me that this would be there to 'enable' the clutch as much as 'disable' it when pressure (top-end) is reached.

Once I get her home I'll take a multi-tester to it, check for voltage at the clutch and if needed start working my way back to the relay.

My question: if there's no signal @ the clutch, are there any [logic] reasons that the PCM would choose not to engage the relay ?

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Might just need regasing. The clutch will not engage if there is no pressure in the system. Obviously, this would indicate you have a leak somewhere.

Reactions: CDN R/T

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's what I was thinking...

I was on my way to buy a top-up can at lunch but decided to verify fuses, relay, clutch. When I saw that the clutch wasn't engaging I figured I had an electrical problem (so I didn't buy any gas). Then I saw the transducer in the schematics. Back to square one...

I think I'll buy a bottle or two on the way home and see if I can't get it running, otherwise (aaarrrgghhh) I'll have to take it to a shop.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I would look at the transducer first. If you're so low on refrigerant that the compressor won't start, then you have bigger problems that just adding more refrigerant won't help. I'm not totally sure how you would test the transducer but I'm pretty sure they came out with a new one becasue the old ones were junk. I was getting a check engine light due to a bad sensor and a member told me that they nad a similar problem with a bad transducer. I haven't replaced it yet but I did do some research and I remember seeing that there was a kit to use a new transducer available from the dealer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts