DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,489 Posts
Yeah - I wasn't thinking that the rack had anything to do with the pump shaking.

Things may be fine - but you may verify that the p.s. pump bracket appears to be fully intact (no cracks, no missing elements) and all bolts are present and tight, and if you try to jerk the pump around with your hands that there is no more movement than you might expect with the stiffness of the brackets. If everything looks good, it's probably fine.

I used to work at a shock and vibration lab testing shipboard items for the Navy under severe stress and vibration over a range of frequencies. All mechanical structures have what are called "resonances" - excitation frequencies that will cause motions way bigger than the motion of what's exciting them (the excitation motion gets multiplied). So small drive belt vibration and engine motion could normally cause the pump to vibrate like that. This could be normal for our cars. But we don't know that because NO ONE ON THIS FORUM HAS EVER TAKEN A COOL VIDEO LIKE THAT!! 🤣 but a big 👍

Seriously - it may or may not be normal, which is why I suggest you do the checks that I mentioned.

I don't have either of my Concordes any more, so I can't check what's "normal".

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
The video was shot by a small fool proof Sony camera - on a tiny tripod. It really is just push the one button and that is it. I have lots of camera gear but for wide angle stuff like travel video - it is the best there is - better than GoPros though it is rather old and a bit cheaper. I learned about it from this very interesting youtuber - Bald and Bankrupt..

....everything he ever shoots is with this camera or his phone. Thanks again - interesting insights. We often bike by the Bayonne Dry-dock - the Navy always has a ship being redone.

I will let you know what I find under the hood - Thanx

Reactions: peva

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Good job Peva - you nailed it. The PS fluid reserve tank is loose - I am not sure why - I need to tighten it up some how!!

Thanks yet again!

Reactions: peva

·
Premium Member
18,489 Posts
Good job Peva - you nailed it. The PS fluid reserve tank is loose - I am not sure why - I need to tighten it up some how!!

Thanks yet again!
You're welcome.

The below from the FSM may help. Again, I don't have either of my Concordes anymore to look at, but it sounds like it's a quarter-turn twist to engage a tab on the bracket to lock it in place with a single bolt to prevent it from rotating off. Not sure how "rubbery" or stiff it is when properly mounted. I'd say if the reservoir mounting is somewhat rubbery and flexible by design, then that's the way it is and could account for the shaking, All you can do is verify that it's twisted on, no broken plastic or bent bracket features, and the bolt is installed and tight.

From FSM:
REMOVAL - RESERVOIR (3.5L ENGINE)
(1) Remove the cap and siphon as much fluid as
possible out of the reservoir (Fig. 44).
(2) Raise vehicle. (Refer to LUBRICATION &
MAINTENANCE/HOISTING - STANDARD PROCEDURE)
(3) Remove the power steering return hose from the side of the power steering fluid reservoir. Remove the power steering fluid supply hose going to the power steering pump from the bottom of the power steering fluid reservoir. Let power steering fluid drain from hoses and reservoir.
(4) Lower the vehicle.
(5) Remove the power steering fluid reservoir from the mounting bracket by rotating the rear of the reservoir toward the engine and out of the bracket

INSTALLATION - RESERVOIR (3.5L ENGINE)
(1) Install the power steering fluid reservoir into the mounting bracket. Be sure the retaining tab on the bracket is holding the reservoir in the bracket.
Fasten screw to 12 N·m (105 in. lbs.).
(2) Raise vehicle.
(3) Install the power steering return hose onto the
nipple on the side of the power steering fluid reservoir. Install the power steering fluid supply hose going to the power steering pump, on the bottom nipple of the power steering fluid reservoir. Install the hose clamps, being sure they are past the hose retention beads on reservoir nipples.
(4) Lower vehicle.
(5) Fill the power steering pump reservoir to cor- rect fluid level. (Refer to 19 - STEERING/PUMP/ FLUID - STANDARD PROCEDURE)
(6) Start engine and turn steering wheel several times from stop to stop to bleed air from fluid in system. Stop engine, check fluid level and inspect system for leaks.
White Organism Font Line Auto part

41 - 45 of 45 Posts