DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I made the SRT-6 thread,

I have been wondering how hard would it be to do the hood scoop for real. My neighbor has a new Toyota Tacoma like this:

I was wondering how hard it would be to cut out the scoop from the truck hood and weld and smooth it in on a first gen hood.

I think it would look great with the power bulge in the first gen hood.

Charles

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Looks good Charles!!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
thats exacly what i want to do to my hood. wow, it looks even better than i thought it would, good job. what all did you have to do in order to do it. i really really really want to do it to mine now.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Ummmmm, it's a photoshop, it's not real.

·
Registered
195 Posts
i think instead of cutting a scoop off something else, it would be easier to make two cuts in the metal running north south where you want the scoop to be.(probably in the front of the cowl) then bend the piece in the middle down, weld in little triangles where the gap is, then smooth it out and paint it.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
First problem is to find a hood .

Some other toyotas use a similer scoop.

The it would be best to get a second hood for the trep.

Cut out the scoop, finish off the edge so that it can recess into the whole you cut ito the "good" hood.

Now the hard part which is supprisingly simple.

After the scoop is fitted (the hard part), then tack weld the carners to secure the scoop.

Now the easy part!! use JB weld to connect the tack welds and complete the "welding" process,no heat = no warping!!! Thats the good part!

Let set overnight then grind the "weld" and refinish!

Or easier yet, fit the scoop into the prepared whole (lip-Lip) ane urathane it on again no heat and refinish!

Yes iv'e thought about it as a friend has a challenger hood he wants on his warlock truck!

Ain't tecknoglegy great! no warping and easy finish that won't crack when you shut the hood.

I have working plans for an air grabber too!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went out with a tape measure this morning and found that the scoop is too wide for the bulge in the first gen hood, it could still work but it won't flow so smooth, I know that the RAV-4 also uses the same shape of scoop, I am going to find if it is smaller and would work better, I think the one from the truck would look real good on second gen Intrepid, I will make a picture later today to show those 2nd gen owners.

Charles

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
MathWiz said:
I went out with a tape measure this morning and found that the scoop is too wide for the bulge in the first gen hood, it could still work but it won't flow so smooth, I know that the RAV-4 also uses the same shape of scoop, I am going to find if it is smaller and would work better, I think the one from the truck would look real good on second gen Intrepid, I will make a picture later today to show those 2nd gen owners.

Charles
No. Please don't do it. I have bills to pay and if I see it on a 2nd gen I might spend money I don't have!!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
95Intrepisize said:
I don't know why but in that image they look just right.
I think they look just right from any angle, someone remarked on my sig that it looks like those wheels were made for Intrepids, and I agree, they are hub-centric and the perfect offset for that car, almost no vibration at speed.

Charles

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have long been wanting to copy the Grand AM GT hood with the two inset "snorkels" I think it would look great on a Trep ! I do not have any want (knowledge/program) to "Photo shop/photo edit" a mock up of this BUT SURE WOULD LIKE TO SEE IT FOLKS :).
I like the Challenger look too on the Trep....it might look good too..
Here's one
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=grand+am+gt+hood+pic&view=detailv2&&id=E35E42488D9F3C696C96829863197E76A045E806&selectedIndex=0&ccid=vSZIRQb5&simid=608012188314895590&thid=JN.3n1x8Ie7Md+QXT7uyg2+ig&ajaxhist=0

1 - 16 of 16 Posts