DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, last Saturday I purchased a 1997 Dodge Intrepid Sport. I Test drove the car, not hard but just normal traffic driving. I drove the car home 100 Miles to my town, swung by my friends house, then went home. The car sat for an hour, i went back out and headed for another friends house about 30 miles south of me. I got about 20 miles into the trip when i noticed a ticking in the motor. I stopped, figured i better have it looked at then had it towed to my mechanic. By Monday morn when he looked at it the tick and become a full blown hammer. He suspects complete engine failure. Has anyone else ever had this happen with a 3.5 Liter Engine? If so what happened to it? :confused:

My second question has to do witht he Sport package. How many were built? What was done to the engine/computer to get 225 HP instead of 214 and what else came with the package. Wa sit like and R/T where only a few select colors came with it? Thanks for the help......Mike

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Me and my Auto tech teachers suspicons are that someone that didnt know how to use the Autostik revved the enigne way to high and as the computer cut fuel the combustion temp went sky high to to being lean and smoked the rings.....

·
Registered
533 Posts
Computer will automatically shift the autostick at certain rpm, the rev limiter pretty much only kicks in at top speed. Unless you have one of the elite sports with no speed governor, then rev limiter only gets used in neutral

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Yeah, when in Autostick the computer will shift at redline to protect itself. Also, when in park or neutral there is a rev limiter. I believe it's at 3000 or 3500 rpms. That doesn't stop someone from traveling in first gear just before redline while going to the store or something.

·
Registered
844 Posts
the rev limiter kicks in @ 4000RPM in neutral or park on my trep.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Warlord187 said:

You see, now I have to go out and rev my engine to see where the limiter kicks in. :D
then throw her in drive :D

j/k :crazy:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ever heard a Diesel Ram thats been turned up on the dyno......sad enough, thats how my engine sounded.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PS.....my car shifts automatically in 1st gear.....but holds anything above that......I found a used motor out of a burn rear car for $900.......better than the $2750 from Mopar.....its going in Monday

·
Registered
23 Posts
that really sucks

i have a faint clicking coming from the upper right side of my engine, i have no idea what it is... you cant hear it from inside the car, outside with the hood open you can, with the hood closed you can hear it if you get close.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, but they paid me back $600 to cover the labor. I guess im ok with it. Now i got a set of manifolds to model my shorites off of......if they work when i build em i might consider build a few a month to sell....maybe..............Mike

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Elite sports with no governor ehh.......ill find out before the week is out......;)

·
9,861 Posts
Its just lifter tick. It can be alittle loud on these engines. Its nothing to worry about though.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
the rev limiter on first gens is way up high.. above 6500 rpm... even in neutral. I have never found it myself, as I don't like to rev my engine unless under load (the highest I have ever had it is 5K rpm.... thjat was to see if it had one like the second gens do....)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts