DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of Michelin 235/55R17 Pilot Sport A/S tires off of eBay. I had them shipped to my garage. I had my car in today to get some work done and have the tires installed. I got a call and was told one of the tires had a big screw stuck in it. They patched the hole up and mounted it on my rim and put it on the car.

Questions:

1- What are the chances of having problems due to the patch job? Getting a leak? How about a blowout driving at 100?

2- The tires only have about 5000 km's on them. My garage said I would have to buy 2 tires(instead of just 1 to replace the 1 bad one) because if I just bought 1 the wear would be uneven and it would pull. Is this true? Can I not just buy one new tire and replace the bad one with it?

3- If I were to buy 2 used tires but they have only 40-50% tread left(so a lot less than the other 2) would that be ok?

Any other comments? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
It does matter where the puncture was on the tire. I'm assuming that your tire shop knew what's safe to repair and what would be not safe to repair. If it was repairable, I wouldn't worry too much about them at high speeds, at least no more than I would worry about ANY tire coming apart at high rotational speeds.

It is true what they say about buying two's. But since they only have 5,000 km on them, it might be ok to just buy ONE new tire. Can you measure how much tread is left on the good tires and find out what the tread depth is on a brand new tire?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've driven plenty of miles on tires with multiple plugs and had no problems. Sounds like yours was fixed using a vulcanized patch on the inside, and this is better than a plug. If it fails, it will most likely result in a flat tire. Catastrophic failure is not entirely impossible, but highly unlikely.

As far a replacement of pairs, it depends on how much the older tire is worn. If the tread depth is within about 10% of a new tire, I doubt you will notice any pulling.

Reactions: Morphy

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
It does matter where the puncture was on the tire. I'm assuming that your tire shop knew what's safe to repair and what would be not safe to repair. If it was repairable, I wouldn't worry too much about them at high speeds, at least no more than I would worry about ANY tire coming apart at high rotational speeds.

It is true what they say about buying two's. But since they only have 5,000 km on them, it might be ok to just buy ONE new tire. Can you measure how much tread is left on the good tires and find out what the tread depth is on a brand new tire?
thats why i said good repair shop hoping he has gone there before because of good work ethics

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Because of the the size of the hole they had to plug it. A patch wouldn't fit. I'll measure the tread and see what it's like.

·
Registered
795 Posts
The absolute best repair to makre is to plug AND patch the tire. (Our shop requires this). A patch is more reliable than just a plug, but a patch alone will not fill the "hole" made in the tire... allowing water and grit in to rot/wear the chords that hold the tire together. Over a long time this can lead to a seperated tire. (huge bump or blowout.) You can patch a fairly large hole as long as it's not near the sidewall. The rule of thumb is to use your thumb, :turn: You should'nt repair if the hole is a thumbwidth from the "edge of the tred" (though everyone still does).

As soon as you put a patch in any tire it's speed rating is no longer valid. I can't remember how much it's lowered but don't worry unless your planning on doing like 12OMPH!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it's actually ok and fairly to keep driving on that one plugged tire? I don't drive like a demon, maybe 90mph at most very rarely. I wouldn't mind if it only leaked a bit but I don't want it to explode suddenly.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
DJDiggler said:
As soon as you put a patch in any tire it's speed rating is no longer valid. I can't remember how much it's lowered but don't worry unless your planning on doing like 12OMPH!
Amen! :biggrin:

·
Registered
795 Posts
Your tire should be OK. Our Centech (tire repair supply company) rep actually showed us one of the tires off his company van. To demonstrate how good their plugs work they had punched about 20 plugs into it, looked like a pincushion from the inside! He said it's been like that for several months no problems.

A just plug is better for the tire than just a patch. If it ever does start leaking it'll be a very slow one, giving you time to fill her up & get it fixed.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I just got back from a weekend trip. Everything ran great. I had both hands on the steering wheel for the first while but the tires ran perfect. I think I'm going to let them be and hope nothing happens.

As an aside, what a HUGE difference it makes when you have top quality rubber on your car. Damn, the ride is so smooth, quiet and the car sticks to the road.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Morphy said:
Well I just got back from a weekend trip. Everything ran great. I had both hands on the steering wheel for the first while but the tires ran perfect. I think I'm going to let them be and hope nothing happens.

As an aside, what a HUGE difference it makes when you have top quality rubber on your car. Damn, the ride is so smooth, quiet and the car sticks to the road.
iam thinking your a young driver, as i have never had trouble with tire repair as long as it was done by somebody that knew what they were doing but i am glad you had no trouble :smiley_aa

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Heh, hardly young at all.

I've just never had problems with a car, hell I've never even had to change a tire. I'm not so worried for myself, in fact I think it would be a good way to go if the tire blew out and the car vaulted itself into the air and exploded(geez I'm playing too much Car Wars). But when my wife drives the car I want to make sure things will be all good.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Morphy said:
But when my wife drives the car I want to make sure things will be all good.
Nothing wrong with being concerned about the wife.

Don't worry about the plug, I have lost count of how many tires I have had fixed over the last 20 years of driving. I can honestly say that I have never had a problem with one due to a repair job. The only reason I have ever had to replace tires was due to driving on them until the tread was no longer safe and that has been with multiple objects having been removed from them and fixed.

Like everyone else said on the two-tire issue, you do want to replace them in at least pairs. A perfect world has all four needing replacement at the same time but that takes a lot of discipline in keeping them rotated, balanced and aligned.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Morphy said:
Heh, hardly young at all.

I've just never had problems with a car, hell I've never even had to change a tire. I'm not so worried for myself, in fact I think it would be a good way to go if the tire blew out and the car vaulted itself into the air and exploded(geez I'm playing too much Car Wars). But when my wife drives the car I want to make sure things will be all good.
hey i hear ya i just have had so many tires repaired i don't think twice any more but i won't repair side wall or out of the tread

1 - 17 of 17 Posts