DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I stumbled upon your website today and I'm totally hooked on it. I've managed to scrape up enough money (starving university student) to begin redoing the sound system in my stock '99 Intrepid. I really can't tell you more about the model other than that. It's a 2.7L Canadian model, with nothing fancier than power locks and windows. I don't know if it's 1st gen or 2nd gen (whatever that is). The question I wanted to ask you guys is what did you guys do with the speakers mounted near your side view mirrors? Mine have started popping and I'm considering either pulling it out or replacing it. What do you guys suggest? Again I'm in total awe of some of your cars, they're gorgeous.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Brownsound said:
Hi guys,

I stumbled upon your website today and I'm totally hooked on it. I've managed to scrape up enough money (starving university student) to begin redoing the sound system in my stock '99 Intrepid. I really can't tell you more about the model other than that. It's a 2.7L Canadian model, with nothing fancier than power locks and windows. I don't know if it's 1st gen or 2nd gen (whatever that is). The question I wanted to ask you guys is what did you guys do with the speakers mounted near your side view mirrors? Mine have started popping and I'm considering either pulling it out or replacing it. What do you guys suggest? Again I'm in total awe of some of your cars, they're gorgeous.

Thanks
First off, Welcome to the site!!!!! Secondly, Its taking me a while to get my system together too, so I know the situation. Your car is a second generation intrepid. Look at my sig thread to see what it looks like. If you plan on replacing every speaker and putting in an aftermarket CD player (I highly recommend this), then you can just yank the sail speakers. The outer plastic piece is held to the inner plastic piece by 2 black philips screws. Once that part is pulled off you will see the 2 screws that actually connect to the car, unscrew those, and remove the whole unit. You'll have to unclip the wire connector if you are completely removing these. I would keep them in if i were you and just unplug that connector, but only after you have a suitable door speaker replacement. You need any other tips, let me know, I've been through the whole process pretty much. Feel free to drop me a PM.

Josiah

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hehe, this is one of the nicer forums I've been in. Your idea sounds a lot better actually. Cosmetically I think I would prefer to just leave it there as is. So basically you think that I only need to replace the indoor speakers? So I'd have to buy a new deck, subwoofers, an amp and replacement speakers? Sorry I have so many questions but this is actually the first car I've ever owned so I'm a complete dunce.

Thanks a lot for your fast reply

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Well basically what I have done and am in the process of doing is this:

Clarion ProAudio DZX655MP head unit
6.75" Rockford Fosgate 3-way speakers
6"x9" Rockford Fosgate 4-way speakers
P3001 amp to power 2 P110S4 subwoofers
P4004 amp to power the 4 speakers

Your setup will most likely be different, but thats basically what I'm doing. I would buy a head unit you like first, as well as the door speakers (size 6.75) and your rear deck speakers (6"x9"). This would be the first stage. The second stage would be to find a subwoofer or a few that you like, and find an amplifier that matches them well power-wise. I would use crutchfield to purchase these items, or even just ask about items and not purchase them like i do lol. The hardest thing I would say is to make sure everything is powered safely and effectively, and make sure you either get everything professionally installed and wired, or be VERY neat and tidy with your wiring and mounting to avoid any rattles or noise and more importantly, you don't start a fire by having something short. Also, make sure your power wire is tightened down real well to your positive jump post. I didn't have mine as tight as it could be and my battery was essentially drained because of the weak connection. I was getting the battery icon lit up and everything. And when pops jumped my car and I tried to start it, i saw a nice little flash coming from the exact spot where my power wire is tightened on. Needless to say we knew right away what the problem was. Anyways, let that be a lesson to us all. Wiring is some serious stuff and it should be done as neat, tight, and organized as possible.

Another thing, I don't mean to be an asshole, but DON'T ASK WHAT SPEAKERS TO BUY! This is like asking which girl to take to prom. Its all a matter of your personal opinion and hearing tolerances. I myself enjoy the nice bass and pingy highs of my rockford speakers, but others like the silk tweeters for a more mellow tone. Thats just one example. It would be cool to have another Rockford fanatic in the mix, though. Their headunits are hard to come by, and the cheapest one i've seen was nearly 400. I'd get a clarion. Never failed me yet. Puts out nice sound and has more great features than I expected. I'd love to keep helping you through the process so if you want we can chat over private messages or AIM too.

Josiah

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, thanks a lot for all the great info, I'll be sure to post here once I've bought everything and installed it. No worries I don't think you're and asshole lol, I wasn't asking which type of speakers to buy, I do a lot of work installing home theatre systems and it's one of my pet peeves to get asked what type of Tv or speakers to buy, but I digress. Thanks a lot! I think before doing this though I might use the money to repaint the Trep black or silver. Not sure if it's worth it but I'm not a fan of the gold body right now. Anyways, Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Very well said Josiah. I totally agree with your post, especially the part about not asking what speakers to buy. If possible, the best thing you can do is go to an audio shop, even if its best buy or circuit city, and try out many different speakers. You may find that you like a $50 set of speakers better than a $400 set and with ordinary convention you might have bought the $400 set just becasue they were more money. It is amazing how many people don't listen to speakers before buying them and just go on the specs or brand name or online reviews.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys, sorry it took me so long to reply again, I had a test today I was studying for. Thanks again for all the advice, I'll let you know how it goes. I actually don't think I'll be doing this since I'm almost sure my Trep is going to be in need of a tune ip soon and I'll need the cash. But we'll see.

Thanks

·
Registered
603 Posts
Personally I would look into the steros from the factory, they have some nice units, even though they dont have a lot of power. If your buying a amp anyway it wont matter. The other reason I went with upgrading my factory radio is people will pass up mine and steal the cars next to me because he has a name brand radio. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Factort radios nowadays do have alot more than they used to,but they can't compete with a good aftermarket.Secondly regardless of what stereo you have if a thief feels like stealing a factory one they will.It just depends on what they need.With an aftermarket,you have the option of removing the face and be done..There are a few things that will have thiefs looking at your ride.First off looks,secondly if they hear a thumpin system,thirdly if you advertise what you have.(i.e stickers and all that crap)

·
Registered
603 Posts
mrcllusb said:
Factort radios nowadays do have alot more than they used to,but they can't compete with a good aftermarket.Secondly regardless of what stereo you have if a thief feels like stealing a factory one they will.It just depends on what they need.With an aftermarket,you have the option of removing the face and be done..There are a few things that will have thiefs looking at your ride.First off looks,secondly if they hear a thumpin system,thirdly if you advertise what you have.(i.e stickers and all that crap)

No offence, but people on budgets can get the same or more from a good factory radio through here or ebay. I have looked. Most people will leave intrepid radios alone because there not that high in demand and would bring almost nothing to sale unless you go with a nav system. I have had a few friends that had there radios stolen but not the face, its as easy as getting a new face, especially off ebay. Lastly, thats why I always turned my sub off within a few miles of home.

·
Registered
605 Posts
No offense taken bro.We're all on a budget.But,just like with anything else,if you work hard and save eventually you'll be able to get what you want.with that being said next comes patience.Now you can get an aftermarket headunit new or used starting at what maybe 50.00 depending on what your looking for.With that said,i would rather wait lets say 2 more weeks and get the 120.00 one that i really want.Problem with some people nowadays is they don't have patience.Everything they want they need it now even if they know that the lights might get turned off,or the cable .I can remember when i started here on this site,i didn't have jack.All i could do was read what others had and where doingand wish that i could do it.Now yes i wanted to run out and do everything,but bills :deal: came first.So i sat back and just had patience.With the help of my wife i told her the things i wanted to do and we set aside money for the projects i wanted to do.Now i'm happy to say i've got 300m rims,a complete new stereo,silverstars,sirius,and my new alarm/remote starter that i'll be putting in soon all thanks to the people here and a lil patience.With my next deployment :gun4: i'll wonder what i'll do next......

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, I can't believe I'm asking this...you know how most headunits advertise they play cd's but they don't have a slot for you to put your cd...? Uh...where does the cd go?

*hangs head in shame*

Thanks

·
Registered
603 Posts
I understand the patience thing, but looking at ebay for steros all I could find that were even close to what I wanted were $200. However I found the samething in one of our factory radios for $45. Anyway, I think this goes back to the speaker issue. Whatever makes you happy is what you should go with. I personally liked the nicer look of having a factory radio, plus I still can have sirius :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is there a place where I can see the specs of some factory radios? I wouldn't mind going with a factory headunit, I'd still probably end up using an aftermarket amp and possibly aftermarket speakers.

·
Registered
605 Posts
??Patience?? lol that's funny

{"with that being said next comes patience.Now you can get an aftermarket headunit new or used starting at what maybe 50.00 depending on what your looking for.With that said,i would rather wait lets say 2 more weeks and get the 120.00 one that i really want.Problem with some people nowadays is they don't have patience.Everything they want they need it now even if they know that the lights might get turned off,or the cable .I can remember when i started here on this site,i didn't have jack.All i could do was read what others had and where doingand wish that i could do it.Now yes i wanted to run out and do everything,but bills came first.So i sat back and just had patience"}

lol (this is "Ole Blake's Wife") don't listen to him you guys!! That man knows nothing about patience when it comes to that Trep!! He wants it ALL here and YESTERDAY!! I am the accountant with the BUDGET hahahha and thank God we don't spend unless we BOTH agree first. Otherwise that TREP would have every gadget known to the auto industry and our house would be empty lol!! Besides that, life is far too short, do what you want, when you can within reason and enjoy your life. Look at us for example, his life is on the line more often than it isn't. Speaking of which, AHEMmmmm did I read some crap about a "next deployment" grrrrrrrrrr he's already been gone 25 out of the last 33 months. Can't catch a break I tell ya, I say the man deserves a new car, never mind adding things geesh!!!

Take Care & God Bless
*~Ole Blake's "Patient" Wife~* lol

·
Registered
603 Posts
http://www.wjjeeps.com/radios.htm that is a link with pretty good info in what they have for 2 gen cars. Dodge/Chrysler were smart in that most radios are interchangeable. I have the RAZ radio, the 2002-2004 version, even though mine is actually out of a 2005 caravan :) happy hunting.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
HAHAHA, someone had their account hijacked :p

ANYWAYS......if you're on a budget and need new speakers......what you can do to start is just buy a nice set of 2-way 6.5's, throw em in the doors, and disconnect/remove the sail speakers. It's not hard at all. I could even do it for you if you'd like to drive to Kitchener.

I had Alpine Type S door speakers in my Intrepid for quite a while now......much better than the stock speakers, and didn't cost very much. You don't have to replace the whole system to get something that sounds good!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hehe, you guys are so full of advice it's awesome. Much better than most other boards I've been in. I was basically considering doing that Avenger, I can handle the speakers I have now for a little longer, but the first thing I'd like to add would be a subwoofer. I don't really like the high frequencies that much so the sail speakers won't distort too much right? I figured I could add other speakers as I go along.

Thanks again for all your help guys.

Edit:
Have you guys heard of a mtx blue thunder amp? I can get one for 60 bucks with 200W. Sound good enough?

Edit:
Avenger those are some sick ass rims

·
Registered
603 Posts
I would say it depends on what your pushing....I have a 500w pioneer sub that hits really good with a 200w amp. I think as long as you dont spike the hell out of it then its fine because the constant watts needed are lower then 500w

1 - 20 of 20 Posts