DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been scouring the internet for weeks and haven't found a thing for performance for my 2003 intrepid se (2.7), that is, besides the basic fit all intakes and exhaust setups. So am i looking in the wrong places? Or is there really just no way to squeeze some more juice out of that tiny 167 ci.?

·
Premium Member
16,969 Posts
There are a few parts you could swap out that would help. Take the block, pistons, connecting rods, heads, bearings, bolts, intake, oil pump, oil pan, and peripherals from a 3.5 and and install them on the 2.7. :)

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
A Special PCM really livens the motor up, but its not exactly plug and play

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
There are a few parts you could swap out that would help. Take the block, pistons, connecting rods, heads, bearings, bolts, intake, oil pump, oil pan, and peripherals from a 3.5 and and install them on the 2.7. :)
Is there really any way to improve the technologically superior 2.7L?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
2.7 to 3.5 conversion, I believe, because Peva said block. :baller:

You're, right. I missed the "block" part.

So, scrap the infamous 2.7 and swap in the durable, long lasting, trouble free 3.5
for a bump of about 40hp.

Or sell the SE as is and buy an R/T or SXT. There's an idea.

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
You're, right. I missed the "block" part.

So, scrap the infamous 2.7 and swap in the durable, long lasting, trouble free 3.5
for a bump of about 40hp.

Or sell the SE as is and buy an R/T or SXT. There's an idea.
Its only infamous because of poor maintenance. I know of plenty of 2.7s with high mileage. I'm sure Bill will speak up on this one. 3.5s may have a better water pump, but they still crash the valves when the timing belt breaks just like a 2.7

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Squilly,
You know I love the 2.7 just as much as anybody else.

If it wasn't for the 2.7, I would've never found this community and done my first swap.

Well, hell, if it wasn't for the 2.7, I wouldn't have so many cars to scavenge parts from.

And remember that tranny replacement I did a while back...came from a 2.7 car
(Thanks for your help!)

There are lots of reasons to love the little guy.

:whistle:

·
Premium Member
16,969 Posts
Its only infamous because of poor maintenance. I know of plenty of 2.7s with high mileage. I'm sure Bill will speak up on this one...
Well I guess I *have* to now! (j/k)

Yeah - my 2.7 has over 250k miles on it and is still running great. Mileage is not accumulating too fast now that I moved and my new commute is 1.4 miles vs. the 80 miles a day that I used to drive it. I'm only a sample of one, but there are a few 2.7 owners whose 2.7's have gone a bit further than that (and many whose didn't).

·
Bitches be like...
16,618 Posts
The goal of owning a 2.7L is to keep it running, not make it faster. Try looking on the Sebring/Stratus forums, see what those guys do... if anything.... They'll probably tell you to get the turbo I4 lol.

2.7<>go fast.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I was just discussing 2.7L engines with the crazy brother in-law who just recently opened another salvage yard. I thought he was out of the business for good but, I guess the retirement became boring.

Anyway, he was telling me about buying a trainload of Intrepids back in the early 2000's. Apparently, after the carrier car(s) flipped and crunched the bodies on these cars with like 7 miles on them, they were sold to the scrapyards. I think he said they bought about 15 of them and sold the engines for about twice the cost. In his words, "They went like hotcakes!"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts