DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody.

This is my first time posting, but I've used the forums often for help on topics. I'm kind of embarassed to be posting this, but whatever.

I've been having major problems with the engine cooling system on my Intrepid. At first, I took it to a shop, and they diagnosed the problem as one of the radiator fans weren't working. I decided I could handle that repair, and went ahead and bought the part and replaced it, along with the thermostat. Replaced everything, and it was still overheating. At this point, I noticed the radiator wasn't even warm, while my engine was overheating. I figured it must be the water pump, and began the long, difficult process of changing that.

So, I read in another post about the 3-bolt versus 6-bolt water pumps, and discovered mine was a 6-bolt. The parts store would have to have ordered the 6-bolt one, and I read that the 3-bolt would bolt on, so I decided to try that. However, I hadn't realized that those bolt holes could drain fluid, so I decided to just screw in the remaining bolts with some o-rings and sealent. This is embarassing part, however. I was pretty tired from all the work I had put in so far, and wasn't paying as much attention as I should have been, so I accidently put too much pressure on the bolt, and snapped the head.

So, now I'm stuck with my car torn to pieces, no water pump, and a bolt stuck so when I get the pump, I won't be able to install it. I don't have any experience drilling out bolts, so I've tried calling a couple mobile mechanics, whose responses have ranged from "trash the engine" to "it's not something I want to get into."

Anybody have any idea of what I'm looking at? As one possible solution, I've thought of maybe just leaving the bolt in there, and trying to seal it up as tight as possible with some high-temperature sealent. Is there something I'm missing with that plan? Any suggestions at all would be appreciated, as I'm almost sick with worry on this one.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
without the bolt it will probably still leak no matter how much sealant you put on. You have to get the bolt out. Hopefully its not cross threaded. You can go to sears or a parts store and they will have bolt extractors. Is the bolt deep in the thread? Or is there some of the bolt exposed past the surface? Hopefully the latter. Anyway by some PBblaster and soak the bolt numerous times. Then use the extractor, you will need to drill the inside of the bolt out. So, buy a nice new drill bit(The extractor set should tell you what size bit you need), and use the extractor. It is basically a reversed thread looking thing that you will screw into the drilled hole and hopefully be able to get the bolt out. Get a punch and mark the middle of the bolt so you make sure you drill the middle of the bolt. This will require alot of patience and you will need room so if you havent already done so remove the fans and radiator.
As for the overheating issue: Did you bleed the system after changing the thermostat? If not this is probably the problem. There is a valve on the water outlet that you need to open and run the car until only anitfreeze runs out.

Good Luck

·
Registered
166 Posts
another thing you could do is if you know of anyone who can weld is to get them to just tack weld an old bolt to what is left of the old bolt and you should be able to spin it out that way. if the bolt is tight as hell in there too it always helps to heat it up a little with a torch so the metal will expand and make it easier to remove.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.