DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at LTrain01rt nice looking ride and saw that he got the K&N intake for his car:

My question is this: How similar are the under hood arrangements for the two generations, and could this be adapted for the first gen 3.5?

Charles

·
Registered
891 Posts
Just my two cents, but since the plastic tube that clamps down on the throttle bodies comes out almost to the strut tower on the 1g, I don’t think this setup would work. Also the 1g has its coolant reservoir in front of the right strut tower which would also throw this off. What I did is got a maybe 1 foot piece of bent tube from the exhaust shop (to replace the restrictor tube), and then put a heat shield from the frame of the radiator back to the right strut tower, and then put in a 10 inch K&N cone filter. All together it came to about $100, and I bet that’s less then half what a K&N kit would cost.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
24vsleeper said:
Just my two cents, but since the plastic tube that clamps down on the throttle bodies comes out almost to the strut tower on the 1g, I don’t think this setup would work. Also the 1g has its coolant reservoir in front of the right strut tower which would also throw this off. What I did is got a maybe 1 foot piece of bent tube from the exhaust shop (to replace the restrictor tube), and then put a heat shield from the frame of the radiator back to the right strut tower, and then put in a 10 inch K&N cone filter. All together it came to about $100, and I bet that’s less then half what a K&N kit would cost.
Thanks,

Do you have pictures of your set up?

Charles

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
i'm dissapointed at my 2nd gen with a filter cone its not as loud as my 1st gen why?

is there a silencer in the part next to the firewall?

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
To be honest the 2nd gen system would require so much modification to fit a 1st gen that you would be better off building something from scratch

The biggest advantage the 2nd gens have is that once the OEM stuff is out it leaves plenty of room (and mounting points to reuse) that the 1st gens simply do not have

As I have mentioned before I have made two 1st gen intakes (one true CAI that liqtenexp had, another was similar to my 2nd gen setup with the heatshield and cone for a good friend who as far as I know never joined here) both were 3.5's and both installs required removing, modifying and relocating OEM pieces in such a way that I honestly could never right up accurate and/or easy to follow directions on how to do this yourself

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
gn300 said:
i'm dissapointed at my 2nd gen with a filter cone its not as loud as my 1st gen why?

is there a silencer in the part next to the firewall?
There silencer is the hood mat (black soft stuff) and the heatshield itself. I assume that on your 1st gen you just ran an open cone all-metal intake right? This will always "sound" louder then a composite intake with the cone sheilded in the corner.

If all you want is sound run your TB bend directly into a cone filter at the back of your motor. May run like crap as soon as your car heats up but will sound aggressive as Hell.

·
Registered
891 Posts
MathWiz said:
Thanks,

Do you have pictures of your set up?

Charles
If you’re not in a hurry I’ll get a few shots of it developed the old fashioned way (my digital camera was stolen). Even with the heat shield in there I haven’t found it to be much quieter when you really get into it then it was before I put it in. It doesn’t look quite as slick as a K&N kit but it works great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts