DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving along good old highway 35 which has very short passing zones and a speed limit of 70. So I’m cruising along between 70 and 75 when I come up to a crappy little minivan-SUV-thing that seems to be following a pickup with a new fridge in its bed going about 60. So I gave the minivan-SUV-thing a chance to pass the truck at one passing zone and he didn’t, so then at the next passing zone I clicked the trep down to autostick, bumped it down to 2nd and went to pass them both. Sure enough just as I get even with the minivan-SUV-things bumper in the oncoming lane he cuts me off and passes the truck, almost making me rear-end him he pulled out so close and accelerated for the pass so slowly. So I ride his ass until I can pull back in so I can get around the truck too before the end of the passing zone and then back off and wait for a chance to pass him. When it came I passed him nice and quick, and just as I get door to door with him I see this man who looks to be in his 70s giving me the finger. So I snap the trep back in front of him and…damn it! My back slides to the left…I counter-steer and give it some gas so I don’t slow down and get hit by the old man, and it whips to the right, almost making me hit the wheels lock to reign it in but I’m still on the gas, it then whips back and the back stops trying to outrun the front of the car and I glance down and I’m still going about 85 (roughly the speed I hit when I was passing the guy). Of course I then let off and hit the cruise control at 70 and waited for my heart to stop beating so fast that it probably sounded like a cats purr. It then occurs to me that I had just put a crapload of tire dressing on it not 10 miles before, which is of course greasy, and that it probably was ill-advised for me to try an aggressive maneuver with greasy tires. Of course the old man got a lot more then he bargained for, since he probably thought I did that on purpose as the most extreme piece of road rage he has probably experienced.
So I guess the moral of the story is, if you have to do something, give the other guy the finger, don’t do overly aggressive maneuvers around them. After all you never know when you might not be as lucky and not be able to avoid a nasty little highway speed weird accident possibly involving a large kitchen appliance.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Sigh,

Well that shows a red flag in my book of Road Rage. couldnt just let it go hell i get excited when i get the finger just tells me that i have been noticed. count your lucky stars he didnt hit you or anyone else.

·
Registered
566 Posts
My road rage used to turn into stupid driving, speeding manuvering a 'bit' too extreme, but I never have tailgated some d$5K for whatever they did to me. Don't get me wrong I wanted to, but even in my rage I won't take the chance that they F with me and try to get me to hit them, I'm pissed off as it is and if they did that I might have just said 'screw it' and slam'em or been too angry to react in time.

Nearly everytime my roadrage has gotten out I got a ticket :doh:, but that was when I first started driving, I would get mad and stop paying attention, that's when the law came. I've mellowed out a lot, driving more and just being more aware of how other people drive, I enjoy driving more now that I usually don't get pissed off too often.

Now the most I'll do is flip someone off, if it works out I can cut that person off I probably will, but just passing them later is so much better. It was pretty surprising to find out the guy who blows by me at 90+ and is switching lanes every ten seconds can easily end up being passed by me at 70-75 in just a few minutes, not always but more than I had thought.

Glad you learned from your mishap, I took my lessons and my fines to heart.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
honda accord riding my ass today both of our asses slid from formation. damn rain, both cars were ok.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually I didn’t tailgate the minivan/SUV thing intentionally, it just happened when he cut in front of me when I was trying to pass him, and then I had to stay on his ass until I got around the truck too since the passing zone very short. I almost never tailgate people, since I like to have some reaction time if they do something sudden. The funny thing is that I would’ve been fine if I hadn’t had the tire dressing on the tires. Like I said though, the reason that I think he didn’t hit me was because I kept on the gas and didn’t panic and slam on the breaks. Don’t get me wrong though, I know I could’ve done a 180 and had a head-on with him if I’d lost it much more. But it was a good lesson that there are things that can throw off what you perceive the car to be able to do. Although I can’t grantee that I’ll never cut in close to a car that I’ve passed again I don’t think I’ll push my luck so far when it comes to doing the lane change quickly.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
now that would of been something to see.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
24vsleeper said:
Actually I didn’t tailgate the minivan/SUV thing intentionally, it just happened when he cut in front of me when I was trying to pass him, and then I had to stay on his ass until I got around the truck too since the passing zone very short. I almost never tailgate people, since I like to have some reaction time if they do something sudden. The funny thing is that I would’ve been fine if I hadn’t had the tire dressing on the tires. Like I said though, the reason that I think he didn’t hit me was because I kept on the gas and didn’t panic and slam on the breaks. Don’t get me wrong though, I know I could’ve done a 180 and had a head-on with him if I’d lost it much more. But it was a good lesson that there are things that can throw off what you perceive the car to be able to do. Although I can’t grantee that I’ll never cut in close to a car that I’ve passed again I don’t think I’ll push my luck so far when it comes to doing the lane change quickly.

Who puts tire dressing on the tread....? Honestly now....

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Justin said:
Who puts tire dressing on the tread....? Honestly now....
I don't think he meant to put it on the treads. I've used spray kinds where it doesn't exactly spray in such a neat pattern as to not get any on the tread. Also to avoid spraying the wheel (aka the rims), sometimes you have to aim toward the tread more than the sidewall.

But any of you old members remember the thread that linked to some other forum about the guy in the Lexus IS300 that armor-all'd the treads on his tires as well and of course immediately loss control of the car and totalled it? That thread was hella funny!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts