DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of first generation aluminum rims that really need to be refinished. The clearcoat on these ythings is peeling badly and I like the look of the rims and don't want to spend money on new wheels. I was thinking of just sanding down the old clearcoat and recoating them. Have any of you done something like this? What did you use and what were the results?

Thanks
Ken

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts

This is Nicks aka Stratastic's SE. I cant seem to find any post on how he did it other then taping it up with blue painters tape and spraying with spray paint.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I saw that post. What I need to refinish is the flat silver surface, thats where the clearcoat is pealing.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Any Autozone/Murray's carries an aircraft stripper that should work perfectly for what you want to do. Might take some soaking to get all the clearcoat to let loose, but it should do the trick. A scotchbrite pad might speed things along. At that point, you can either clearcoat it or shoot them with another color. Duplicolor wheel paint comes out really nice.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aircraft stripper sounds like a good idea, I've gotten it at walley mart pretty cheaply before. The only problem with stripper is that I'll probably end up taking paint off the part of the wheel I don't want to along with the part I want to. Maybe I'll just have to use the DA

1 - 6 of 6 Posts