DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just came to my mind-

Now I have the 3.89 gears, so my odo is going to read 6% more.

This means, if my car has travelled 10,000 miles - the odo will read 10,600 miles. Not that I plan on selling my car, but my car re-sale price will go down!!

On the other hand, if I buy that correction device and set it, so that my odo reads 50% less, will my odo show less miles than I have travelled. This way my car re-sale price would be good. just curious!!

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
You're not planning on selling anyways are you?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Just get a dealer (or someone else) to reset the TCM to a smaller tire diameter size - in your case, maybe one of the 16" sizes will pretty much correct the error.

·
Registered
195 Posts
well aftermarket acceries usually decrease resale value anyway, and you have lots of stuff on your car, so rersale is bad for you anyway. just something to think about

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I am not planning on selling my car. Also the dealer wont flash your PCM. I was just curious to find out (for future reference) that if I buy that correction device and install it to read 50% less, will my odo actually display only 50% of the miles travelled??
because if it does, then i will get that and install it in every vehicle I own from now on. :grinyes:

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
kumiyer said:
On the other hand, if I buy that correction device and set it, so that my odo reads 50% less...
Along with 50% of your speed (and 50% of your credibility).

·
Registered
383 Posts
Looks to me like you have enough yellos loom and tape under the hood to offset any reduction in resale value. I have to say it looks like your car has been somewhat professionally customized. If I were you and I know you did not ask, but I would lose the dash logo. I won't say anything about the yellow.

Anyways with a car like yours you aren't going to be able to sell it for what a mint condition 300 would go for to the average person. If you plan on getting any resale value out of the car to justify or offset the mods you will have to find either a ballless bastard who is too affraid to do the mods themselves, or someone who really REALLY wants exactly the same mods as what you have put on it. Odds are someone who knows what they want would rather buy a plain one and customize it themselves, because there will be something about yours they just don't like. I am not saying it is impossible, but this isn't just a car you can throw in the newspaper and expect top dollar for. Maybe ebay or some high exposure type market might be good.

Face it the kids who are going to want this cars parents probably won't fork out the money you want for it. If you strip the mods out the car will probably look nasty.

If it were me (and I do have the 3.89 gears) I just don't worry about the mileage. Noone will ever know. I figure when I sell the car that 6% might keep someone from getting a ticket.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For the last time, I AM NOT SELLING MY CAR. Just assume, that my car is stock with the only mod done - is the 3.89 gears.
I was just curious to find out that if I use the correction device, would the speedo and odo really read 50% less. Thats all.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
kumiyer said:
No, I am not planning on selling my car. Also the dealer wont flash your PCM. I was just curious to find out (for future reference) that if I buy that correction device and install it to read 50% less, will my odo actually display only 50% of the miles travelled??
because if it does, then i will get that and install it in every vehicle I own from now on. :grinyes:
Any dealer can and will change the tire size for you, it is one of the few things that they can do in the PCM.
There are several tires sizes already programmed into the TCM and later (2002 & up)PCMs, and all the dealer has to do is log into the unit with the scan tool and change to any of the preset sizes. Since 16" is one of the presets, they can set yours at that and it should pretty much be correct for you.
If your dealer refuse, find another one, or call/email DC for one that will, just state you have changed tires sizes and want it for that reason.

·
Registered
791 Posts
The correction device you seem to be refeing to is not a correction device, it cuts the VSS signal in half so your speedo reads 50% less, and the odo.

There is a correction device that comes with the ProwlerPro and G-force gears that will actually correct the speedo and the odo.

I thought the tire size and multiplier were programmable at some point. Why not just get a TCM from a car with the gears originally?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts