DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What to do ?
Timing Belt, water-pump brake fluid flush / trans fluid change / oil change / plugs / brakes (calipers/rotors)?
I've had a 2001 in storage for many years.. I want to get it moved... start getting it ready for the summer next season.
What's it going to need to not have it greanade ?

·
I hit **** with sticks!
38,249 Posts
All of the above that you listed. Probably going to need tires; and a battery too. You might want to look at the antifreeze, at least test it; and flush if needed. Check hoses/belts for dry rot.

I suggest pre-oiling it as well. Remove the spark plugs; pull the fuel pump and ASD relays, and crank her over with the starter until the oil light goes out; then pause and do it again for another 5-10 seconds. That will prevent a "dry" start. Don't run the starter for more than 20 seconds, or you might overheat it. Do it in 10 second bursts if need be.

·
Registered
805 Posts
timing belt/water pump is a definite
you'll change the coolant automatically with that anyways.
fresh oil and filter, as dan said wheeled over until the pressure comes up.

drain and replace the fuel as best you can.
some fresh fuel with maybe some injector cleaner thrown in.
everything else, well, my 2000 lhs has the same hoses, rad, etc.
tires would need replacing though.

maybe bounce the suspension around a bit at each corner and make sure nothing has bound up from sitting.
maybe a little spray silicone lube on the strut shafts before you do that to help the seals release after sitting so long.
check and make sure the window seals aren't stuck to the windows from sitting.

i changed my power steering lines, so my fluid has been changed over to atf, but i don't think ps fluid would go bad sitting that long, but it might be another point you might want to service anyways.

if it sat in a lot of temp variation, you might want to flush some fluid through the brake system to relieve any moisture.
make sure brakes apply without holding on release.
check parking brake cable operation.

maybe take the weight off the front end and give the steering a lock to lock just to make sure everything is moving freely too.
that's a pretty good start.

16 years if it had fuel in it, you might be up for a pump too.:)

·
Premium Member
17,876 Posts
Was it prepared for storage to prevent things like piston-cylinder corrosion? If any coolant leaks into the cylinders developed, there could be major problems.

Some years ago, my dad stuck his '66 Charger in a barn for about that long with zero prep - just drove it in and parked it. When we went to restart it, the engine was frozen solid because coolant seeped into the cylinders. We never did get it broken loose, and even if we had, it would have needed a complete tear down, and may not have been rebuildable if cylinders heavily pitted. Of course tires were dry rotted literally to pieces. :) Leather upholstery shot. He ended up selling it off for a song.

Not trying to be a negative Nellie, but that was just my one-off experience. I hope you don't have anything like that.

Reactions: Gustav

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was it prepared for storage to prevent things like piston-cylinder corrosion? If any coolant leaks into the cylinders developed, there could be major problems.

Some years ago, my dad stuck his '66 Charger in a barn for about that long with zero prep - just drove it in and parked it. When we went to restart it, the engine was frozen solid because coolant seeped into the cylinders. We never did get it broken loose, and even if we had, it would have needed a complete tear down, and may not have been rebuildable if cylinders heavily pitted. Of course tires were dry rotted literally to pieces. :) Leather upholstery shot. He ended up selling it off for a song.

Not trying to be a negative Nellie, but that was just my one-off experience. I hope you don't have anything like that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ordered the belt, battery and got the fluids and oil for changing. No mouse damage. I’ll be lubricating the cylinders before I bump it over. It’s dirty but In mint shape still in and out.
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Automotive side marker light

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

Fluid Rectangle Material property Bottle Font

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This was my wife’s car that we didn’t want to drive in the winter. We took it off the road and bought a Durango. It’s been sitting since then. No storage prep and honestly I have no recollection of how many miles are on it. I remember it having every option possible for that era.
it will be fun to see it alive again.
here’s a few shots of other cars I own or have owned.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Land vehicle Tire

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
I hit **** with sticks!
38,249 Posts

Same thing happened to my dad's 67 Stingray. Sat from 1991 ish to 2005 ish. He decided to get rid of it one day, and we went to pull it out of the garage, she was frozen solid. The new owner just came and picked it up, never saw it after that.

Alot depends on where its sitting too; no climate control, heavy moisture, holes in the walls, cold/hot; etc can literally cause the piston rings to rust to the cylinder walls.

The older engines were alot more prone to this due to design; but newer engines shouldnt be ignored when being parked either.

When he goes to do the timing belt it would be a good idea to spin her over with a wrench a few times and just make sure she feels free. Maybe a light WD40 fog in the cylinders and a few rotations with the plugs out wouldnt hurt either.

Reactions: yevrah

·
Registered
21 Posts
That car looks mint indeed! As a Trep fanatic, I would advise you to treat it as if it were a brand new engine and do all of the maintenance again at about the 500 mile mark. Don't forget to check hoses and vacuum lines! and if you want to sell it, lemme know, please! I probably couldn't afford it, but I can still dream...

·
Registered
1 Posts
That car looks mint indeed! As a Trep fanatic, I would advise you to treat it as if it were a brand new engine and do all of the maintenance again at about the 500 mile mark. Don't forget to check hoses and vacuum lines! and if you want to sell it, lemme know, please! I probably couldn't afford it, but I can still dream...
Christopher, I also have a 2001 RT Motorsports Edition that I would consider selling for the right price. It is in excellent condition.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Window

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
32 Posts
What to do ?
Timing Belt, water-pump brake fluid flush / trans fluid change / oil change / plugs / brakes (calipers/rotors)?
I've had a 2001 in storage for many years.. I want to get it moved... start getting it ready for the summer next season.
What's it going to need to not have it greanade ?
I would definitely change belts and the fluids before starting. It would suck if the engine seized or was destroyed internally because there was old oil or low oil or something like that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts