DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
i had this problem on a olds alero and it was the wheel bearing ass'ly
do you hear a roaring nosie as you drive it?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Abs brake light on and also trac light do you know what the fix is for this

Let me tell you a little story about my ABS issue in the past...My problem was different than yours but the quick fix for my problem led to the ABS and Traction Control Lights lighting up!

The Tone Ring on my Left CV axle split (see pics).

Here's what it should look like new...

Anyway, because this tone ring was broken, I had an ABS problem when I slowed down and approached 10MPH.

The quick fix was to disable the ABS system by pulling the ABS Fuse. But, by doing so, this caused the ABS and Traction Control Lights to come on and stay lit.

So, my guess is that somehow the ABS Fuse is the likely problem. The ABS Fuse is in a Covered Fuse Box under the drivers side hood. Just in front of the brake booster, behind the battery area. The cover is only snapped on in place. If I remember, it's about 4" x 4". When you pull off the cover, turn the cover over and there is a map of the fuses as to what goes where (I.e. ABS Fuse). Try to replace that...I have no idea what one would cost.

Here's some more useless pics...
Here's some pics of the ABS Sensor that I had to "Beat Out" on the right side, in case anyone needs to see where the ABS sensor is and its relation to reading the tone ring on the CV Axle. These things don't come out easy for salt exposed cars.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had this problem also and I had to replace the ABS + Traction control module to fix it.

Where is the ABS + Traction Control Module located and can it be easily changed out? How can you test it to determine if it bad? How much did your replacement one cost?
If it is the problem, than maybe a junk yard would be a place to pick one up rather cheap and to test with.

BTW, I went out and took some pics of the ABS fuse box and the 30A ABS fuse.

·
Registered
460 Posts
This one is an easy fix. 2 pieces of electrical tape over the lights on the message center. That is how it was fixed on my ES.

Those 2 lights went on in 2002 after the steering rack was replaced. Impossible to fix according to some at the shop. And after they wouldn't pass it for inspection because of the lights, I went the tape route and it passed.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Impossible to fix according to some at the shop.
What kind of shop was that ? It would be one that I wouldn't ever take my car to. Any good shop should have a ABS Scan tool along with the engine scan tools. With the ABS scanner they can tell right away what wrong with the system. Be it a wheel sensor, or a computer problem.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Where is the ABS + Traction Control Module located and can it be easily changed out? How can you test it to determine if it bad? How much did your replacement one cost?
If it is the problem, than maybe a junk yard would be a place to pick one up rather cheap and to test with.

BTW, I went out and took some pics of the ABS fuse box and the 30A ABS fuse.
You should get your problem diagnosed before you start changing out complete modules.

As for where it's located, I can't answer that because I would have to see the engine before I can point out it's location.

My replacement cost me about $250.00 for a remanufactured module.

The module can easily be changed but you will need a long ratchet extension to pull it off.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,338 Posts
Check your brake fluid, and have the ABS codes read. It could be something as simple as a sensor, or a bad tone ring as mentioned, all the way up to the controller itself. The codes work the same as engine trouble codes, but unfortunately there is no easy way to read them without a scan tool.

2nd gen, the controller is located behind the front bumper on the drivers side. IIRC, its in a similar spot on first gens...you can follow the brake lines from the master cylinder and find it very easily. It will be a black box with 6 brake lines coming out of it, with an electric motor attached to one side.

·
Dain bramaged
7,191 Posts
2nd gen, the controller is located behind the front bumper on the drivers side. IIRC, its in a similar spot on first gens...you can follow the brake lines from the master cylinder and find it very easily. It will be a black box with 6 brake lines coming out of it, with an electric motor attached to one side.
Actually in 1st gens its even easier to find, Its directly below/infont of the master cylinder

Under the metal cover to the left of the PDC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts