DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well after using the 2.7 base model witch had no ABS, I like no abs. well I do when it is dry out. if I pull the fuse for the ABS brakes will it work just like I have no ABS at all?

·
Registered
562 Posts
yes it will

·
Registered
457 Posts
I haven't ever liked ABS

seemed like something for people who dont know how to drive and kinda takes the fun out of driving.

Kinda like having an automatic trans

I figured I would just type that there

·
Registered
890 Posts
Bro trust me dont do it ABS IS there to save youre ass. Lets say you were going 80 90 and someone pulls out infront of you youre going to slam on youre brake and the re is a 50/50 chance that youre vechile might slip and slide so you never know.

I know this because i drove a vechile without abs at that speed and it literaly almost lost control just at 60mph.

i cant imagine my trep without abs it probably saved me a couple of times.

and plus the insurance rates are cheaper for abs. :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Well, the insurance company wouldn't know you disconnected it. ;)

On the other hand, my ABS has come in handy already. Not so important as the stopping power is the ability to STEER while braking during an emergency. I would've rear-ended an Acura without it. I love my money-and-life-saving ABS! :D

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Hey RapidTransit, how do you like the rosewood dash? I've been thinking about getting that for my Intrepid.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i actually used ABS (purposely) this morning for the first time ever. of course this was in our camry so i didn't feel bad about playing rough with the car. it was slick outside and i'd never used them, so i was going about 25 when i came right up to this stop sign and proceeded to slip about halfway thru the intersection. having driven in similar conditions in my intrepid i must say that i like the non-ABS better. as for almost rear-ending people and ABS saving you...we can start another topic on following people too closely but i'd rather not. ;)

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
There is a method of braking for non-abs cars called threshold braking. This is when you apply enough force to be on the verge locking up, but not actually doing so. Your stopping distances are amazingly quick and short with this method. A lot better than just stabbing the brakes and losing control.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Originally posted by LHSer:
There is a method of braking for non-abs cars called threshold braking. This is when you apply enough force to be on the verge locking up, but not actually doing so. Your stopping distances are amazingly quick and short with this method. A lot better than just stabbing the brakes and losing control.
Threshold braking and ABS do
NOT conflict. If you are using the ABS, you are actually beyond the point of threshold braking. ABS will save your butt, but disconnecting it because you think that will improve braking is not very intelligent. ABS kicks in when a wheel stops turning. Threshold braking is actually braking to the point where the tires are still rolling, but just at the limit of traction - more brakes and you slide (kicking in the ABS, if you have it, and extending your braking distance), less brakes and you are not using the full capabilities of the brakes and tires (also extending your braking distance).

If you hear the ABS kick on when you are starting to turn, then you were theshold braking.

Can I say this strongly enough: If you get into the ABS, you're beyond the limits of the tires! Threshold braking is at the limits of the tires.

·
Registered
602 Posts
When I had my 99 ES I was driving at about 50MPH along this business parkway at night w/my girlfriend. It used to be a 4 lane straightaway but the city was fixing this street and making it turn in to it. There was like a temporary divider up, I didn't go to the left because it looked as if it led into oncomming traffic, it was also hard to see and there was also no sign so I went to the right.

It looked like a normal lane then all of a sudden it just ended and there was like gravel then a huge trench, instead of freaking out I quickly downshifted with the autostick and hit the brakes, didn't slam on them though cause I didn't want to slide or skid. I was a couple feet away from the trench. I strongly beleive that the ABS helped a lot in that situation!

I also had a situation where I was just about 10 feet away from a big late model Chevy extra cab pickup that decided to fly in front of me at the last minute when I was driving at about 35-40MPH. There was also a lot of gravel on the road cause of nearby construction. I hit the brakes pretty hard and the vehicle didn't skid or slide, It just stopped. I have been really impressed with the braking ability w/ABS.

I'd keep the ABS but it's up to you man.

Take care, Trep lightly
MoparPerformance :cool:

A glance at my old 99ES.....

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Quickly downshifting in wet/slick/low traction situations while the engine is still at speed is the worst thing you can do. Its just like jamming on the brakes in the same situations. Look in the owners manual, it covers it way better than I did. (At least in my owners manual.)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alright, well after all this I guess I will keep with my ABS. like I always say God bless ABS, it does help lotts, but just noticed the pedal felt a bit differant without ABS.

·
Registered
602 Posts
It was the fastest way to slow down and get to a complete stop at the time. Trust me it worked, it helped.... The only problem I have noticed is when it get's to first in this downshift condition and you are hitting the brakes at the same time it will jerk, sometimes hard because the tranny sensor get's fouled and will misjudge when this is done sometimes. Never been a problem for me in the few braking emergencies I have had. Of course this is probably not a good thing and shouldn't be made a habit. Hmmm, my owner's manual never covered it simply the speeds it will automatically shift when shift protection kicks in and where shifts will be ignored.

Thanks for the info!

Take Care guys, Trep lightly!
MoparPerformance

·
Registered
40 Posts
Originally posted by blkbute:
alright, well after all this I guess I will keep with my ABS. like I always say God bless ABS, it does help lotts, but just noticed the pedal felt a bit differant without ABS.
The pedal will feel different when you get to the point where the ABS kicks in -- you'll get the pulsing back through the pedal that lets you know that the ABS is working. If you don't have ABS, you have to be able to feel when the tires change from rolling to sliding, which is pretty easy when there's some traction (your ears will tell you), but very difficult to determine when traction is poor.

Unless you're a professional driver, ABS is a real benefit in hard stopping situations, and even professionals prefer ABS to non-ABS -- it is very difficult to NOT over-brake in emergency situations, which is when ABS is extremely beneficial.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
00Chrys - I like my Rosewood dash. It softens the interior, which was a little to "industrial" for my taste. I went with the factory kit because it is real wood and tastfully understated - the other kits have phony wood all over the place (around the vents and on the glovebox latch) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I was watching some motor trend type TV show a while back and it said the ONLY advantage to ABS is that you can control your car better in heavy braking situations. They did some tests in slippery situations like rain and snow and the ABS did not stop faster and in some cases even did worse than the non-ABS test car. Ive never owned a ABS car so i perfer not to have it. Ive driven a few ABS cars in the winter ('98 Aurora and a '91 MR2) and i did not like them myself :rolleyes:

·
Registered
65 Posts
My 95 Intrepid doesn't have ABS but it has all the ABS lights and whatnot so im thinking it might be a blown fuse or somehting. Rainy, snowy, or dry conditions I have never locked my wheels up unless I meant too. I've had a couple close calls, and I still whish I had ABS as a fail safe.

-BobVila

1 - 17 of 17 Posts