DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
another problem im having is that the ABS light comes on every now and then when i start the car (94 trep). i just had the brake fluid flushed and replaced, new rotors and new pads. any ideas?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Might be that one or more of the ABS sensors are bad. When I first got my Trep one of the sensors were bad so that every so often when I would brake the ABS would activate for no reason. I believe the ABS light would come on some times too.

I'm not sure if there is an engine light code for this but you can try using the engine code retrieval procedure listed in the 1'st gen How-To section of this site.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
You'll need a scanner to determine the code...mine has been coming and going as long as i've owned it, i know mines either a dirty sensor or a loose connection, but it hasnt bothered me enough to fix it. might try to clean all the sensors and plugs with some eyther...worked for me in the past

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mostly im just trying to see if it's going to cause me any problems, if it's just the sensor then it shouldnt be too much of a problem, i tried the code retrieval already and it just did 55 which was the end so it apparently had no problems, at least none that can be retieved that way

thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
you have no code because you scan the PCM but with a scan tool you can scan the abs module and have a code. Many time is the sensor. I found a good trick to check the sensor witout a scan tool. I jack the car, unplug abs sensor, took a multimeter and check for ac volts coming from the sensor. The sensor should make ac volt when you turn the wheel.

·
Registered
114 Posts
if it comes on when you make sharp turns check your fluid level. my chrysler minivan does this due to a sensor in the reservoir-might be the same.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it just stays on, it doesnt just come on when the car starts.....it comes on when you start it then it will flash off for less than a second and come back on and stay on

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
The only way your going to really know is to get the ABS Scanned to see what codes come up. And if it's a sensor, which one. Know use throwing money away guessing on which parts are bad.

I

·
0 Posts
Sorry to hijack your post, where is your ABS light at when it comes on? Instrument cluster?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Might sound funny but pull out your instrument cluster and clean the contacts. I pulled mine to replace a bulb and then it started the same thing with all my lights. I cleaned the contacts and it hasn't done it since. Was just dirt on the connetion in the dash.

Joseph

1996 3.5 Intrepid

1 - 12 of 12 Posts