DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until i fix my AC (need R134 discharged to replace High pressure relief valve but finding discharge costly) can I remove the AC belt and still drive? Will any problems result?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Yes...It only drives the A/C.

Reactions: trepid1

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
no probelms whatsoever, my compressor was seized when I bought my car 4 years ago, never had a belt on there

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Paul. BTW you know AC pretty good. What is the going rate for evac of Freon and is it need to replace my pressure relief valve next to the compressor manifold that i expect is bad? Everytime i turn on AC, freon gushes out the valve?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Sorry it took me a long time to respond. I didn't even know that there was another question on this thread.

A "ballpark" rate for recovery of R134a is $50.00. If you have installed a sealer in the system, the recovery machine will detect it and you will be charged a seperate fee for the pre-filter. Remember that if 2.5 lbs of refrigerant are removed, you can"t put it all back in. So, there will be an additional charge for the additional refrigerant. After repair the system will also have to be evacuated (vacuum). This will vary with the amount of time that the receiver/drier was exposed to the atmosphere. Again a "ballpark" of $40.00. If both services are done at the same time a total may be quite less than the individual services.

The relief valve may be doing it's job correctly if there is a blockage on the high side of the system.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Paul for that info, it will help me when i go to shop not to get raped by stealer mechanics. I think i'll just get the AC check up and see what they say. If it sounds like rape I'll just leave.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts