DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when ac is off, my compressor is quiet. when ac is on and the clutch engages, the compressor lets out a howling noise ......increasing in pitch with rpm. cools fine. bad compressor? add oil?

·
I hit **** with sticks!
38,497 Posts
Low oil, or a bad bearing/internal damage most likely. They will howl when the swashplate gets scored...only remedy, replacement.

·
Premium Member
15,510 Posts
once in a great while,, you could add 1 or 2 ounces of oil , and it may hush,, see it happen twice ,, but that was a nissan,, replace it , before it craps out and fills the system with crud

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are you guys talking about replacing the compressor and clutch assembly or just the clutch assembly. My 96 LHS is doing what sounds like the same thing - the clutch kicks in and makes a howling/growling sound. My first thought was the clutch assembly (bad bearing/contact). Does the damage go deeper than that?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are you guys talking about replacing the compressor and clutch assembly or just the clutch assembly. My 96 LHS is doing what sounds like the same thing - the clutch kicks in and makes a howling/growling sound. My first thought was the clutch assembly (bad bearing/contact). Does the damage go deeper than that?
In looking at what's involved, I suppose I could start with the clutch assembly, and if that doesn't do it, swap out the compressor next...

·
yippee ki yay
5,811 Posts
In looking at what's involved, I suppose I could start with the clutch assembly, and if that doesn't do it, swap out the compressor next...
imo i would just swap out the compressor.....pretty easy job...discharge the system.....remove belt...remove electrical connection....remove the 2 ac lines from compressor and then the 3 bolts holding the compressor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you have a 2.7L engine check the tensioner bracket for cracking. I had a simular noise and the tenisioner braket was almost carcked in half causing the tensioner pulley to rub against the cylinder head when ever the a/c was on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.