DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to fill up my A/C yesterday with a can of R134A, and low and behold the damn condensor has a damaged fin(on the backside of it too, not the front) must have been wrecked during the radiator swap the previous owner had done. Is there anyway to repair the condensor as this damage causes the R134A to leak right out. New condensor is about $200 cdn, not really hyped about dumping that kind of money into this car anymore(already spent $2500 in repairs all DIY, and purchase price of the car was $2500), otherwise it's a trip to the junkyard for one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If it isnt a gaping hole, more akin to a pinhole leak, you might try some AC system stop leak. Otherwise, yeah a trip to the junkyard might be in order..

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like they used a screw driver for leverage for some reason and bent and punctured it pretty damn good. :(

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
buffalo r/t said:
is there a pull a part near you? id start there.
Yep, just thought I would check if there was any way to repair it. I have the ES model, did the base models come with AC and if so do you know if its the same condensor for all of em(including the 3.3L)?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bobs96ES said:
RockAuto has new ones for about $90 US. (or is that the same as $200 cdn?)
Thats $100.87 CDN right now, our dollar is good atm. Shipping would most likely bring that up a good amount though.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Do yourself a favor and buy new. I have been repairing A/C for more years than I like to admit, but there are very few leak stopping compounds that actually work. They will also cause the "springlock" connectors that are used on our cars to seize. These connectors are meant to flex with engine torque etc.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found one at the junkers today - $30+tax so we'll see how that works out. Will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New(used condensor from junkers) failed. It leaked where the dryer mounts. Tried sealing it with teflon tape and a new o-ring, still shot R134A all over the place. If I decide to tackle it again, I'll go new and just bite the bullet on new parts.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Are you evacuaing (vacuum) the system before you add the freon? This should have indicated that you had a leak and you don't waste the refrigerant and vent it into the atmosphere.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, this was just a backyard bandaid fix. If I decide to go with new parts, I'll be taking it in to be evacuated and recharged at a shop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts