DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95' dodge intrepid, 3.5 24 valve, with climate control. When i turn on the a/c and set it to a temp like 60-70 degrees with the ac on it only blows warm air at me. What could be wrong? Its too hot in minnesota not to have ac in the summer! Any suggestions?

·
Registered
530 Posts
lol.. beat me to it Tempest..

=======
Try maybe recharging it ean. Walmart/pepboys/autozone sell do-it-yourself kits that are cheap.
Also: do you hear t he compressor kicking on at all sir?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
These LH models had many, many problems with the A/C. Try doing a search on this site. Remember this problem is common. Take it to a service garage and see, it might just need freon.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Concorde what do i need to recharge? How much is one of those kits? Can freon only be put in by an experienced person and is it expensive?

·
Registered
77 Posts
ean05 said:
Concorde what do i need to recharge? How much is one of those kits? Can freon only be put in by an experienced person and is it expensive?
Had the same problem and it took one can to refresh the A/C. Just got one at Pep Boys for $29.99. Easy to do, and froze my butt off this morning on the way to work.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
If it stinks.... I'm more inclined to think mold.

Freon would certainly help if it's not blowing cold - but wouldn't think it would fix smell..

P

·
0 Posts
ok...well i also had that problem...before you recharge your ac check the pressure..mine ended up being way too high so i had to go take it in to get it fixed ...found out it was the switch that tells the ac to blow cold air...cost me 330 bucks but its nice and cold now...so there is another suggestion for ya

·
Registered
962 Posts
$330 for a switch?!?! Did they at least use some Vaseline when they bent you over the service counter?

·
Registered
379 Posts
High pressure switch, fuses, relays, compressor, hoses and lines ... so many things could be bad. And beware: mechanics are out to mark up and sell you new a compressor. Its worth paying extra for diagnostics at two places.

-Jesda

·
Registered
120 Posts
i had the same prob, bf thought it was my compressor or possibly the fuse, but he ran a new switch and it worked fine.... so he had to find the wire that was loose and poof ....all better!!! much better than taking it to a garage.... 9 for 2 cans of freon (which i didn't need) but it was worth it

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Acctually i just found out that it the problem was that somewhere it is leaking the freon. I think it is somewhere near the dash of the car. It was going to be a lot to fix. Does anyone know about this kind of stuff or has anyone had a similar problem, where the freon leaks out b/c of a crack or something else?:eek:

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Watch out, though.... AC Evaporator Core failures were common on 93-96 LH's. It's an expensive part to replace.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had a 93 Concorde (3.5 24 valve), bough second hand in 96. I owned it for 4 years and in that time the A/C worked on and off with various degrees of success. The A/C units on the first gen LH cars were to be blunt...CRAP.

Anyway the first time it cacked out I was told it was the compressor, becuase the clutch wasn't engaging. Fortunately I took it to another shop and they knew that the compressor clutch doesn't engage when the system is empty. They did a vacuum and recharge and tested for leaks. Couldn't find any so I paid around $100.00 for this service and away I went. Two weeks later the A/C started blowing hot air again. Took it into Chrysler who did a system check and determined it was the evaporator that was leaking and said it needed to be replaced. (estimate $1100.00). I took it to an A/C repair shop who put a new evaporator in for $800.00. A/C worked beautifully for the rest of the summer.

Next spring I turned on my A/C and it didn't work yet again. Took it in and this time was told it was the dryer unit. Approx $250.00 for the unit but about 9 hours of labour as they have to take the dashboard apart to get to it. (estimate of repair $1100.00). I said screw it and took it back to another shop. They did a vacuum, re-charge and it worked fine until about the end of August. So each spring I would just get the unit charged (for about $60.00) and this would last me most of the summer.

My dad has a 96 Toyota Avalon XLS and it started blowing hot air 2 years ago. He took it to several repair shops and got estimates anywhere from $800.00 to $3000.00 to repair it. Some shops said the compressor was gone, some said it was the evaporator, one Toyota dealer said the entire unit needed replacing. He finally took it to a small engine repair shop and they did an evacuation, pressure test and recharge and it has worked fine ever since. (total cost of repair $135.00)

The moral is, when it comes to A/C repairs, shop around and get several estimates and opinions. There are too many unscruplous mechanics who will try to suck you into paying for repairs you don't necessarily need.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had the same problem. Invoice says:

"find AC leaking at compressor, accumulator, and condensor, replace o rings and seals and recharge system"

Parts: $69
Labor $205

·
Registered
576 Posts
hahaha boltupright...$1100 for a new dryer thats funny. They're a $27 part and can be put on the car in 15min. hahahahaha

BTW- you should be having oil added to the system when its recharged...otherwise you will have compressor failure soon....

to answer your question about the a/c stuff read the FAQ i wrote about the intrepid a/c system
http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21964

keep in mind that some shops may charge less for the job...but they may half ass it and that'll just lead to more problems. this is a large problem with compressor replacement. Anywho...the faw should make you an expert. take the time to read it and then ask the shop what they will be doing in detail before the work is done. I personally have had the wrong kind of refrigerent put in a car when i took it in for a simple recharge.

·
Registered
200 Posts
heres an idea... if the AC doesnt work.... cut the belt.... just take the belt right outa there.... increases HP by AT LEAST 5%... DEF. a noticable diff. in mine... ;-)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts