DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Corde's front end is banged up. I am going to repair it myself. It needs a new condenser. I was thinking about just removing it for now and putting the new one in when it gets warm again (money tight). I will also put new refrig in. So.... can I just drain the refrigerant, remove condenser and plug the open holes? Will lack of fluid lead to corrosion / oxidation? Is there a better way?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ed1534 said:
My Corde's front end is banged up. I am going to repair it myself. It needs a new condenser. I was thinking about just removing it for now and putting the new one in when it gets warm again (money tight). I will also put new refrig in. So.... can I just drain the refrigerant, remove condenser and plug the open holes? Will lack of fluid lead to corrosion / oxidation? Is there a better way?
well i am assuming if the condenser is smashed up the refridgerant has allready leaked out.If not its illegal to release it into the inviroment.But ofcourse you can do what you want.if removed plug up the lines.When you get it replaced and filled just make sure the system is vacummed well.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Condenser is smashed but not leaking. I was planning on disposing of properly. So it won't hurt to have exposed to air? I had my thermostat housing out for a couple days and it began growing white clusters.......

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ed1534 said:
Condenser is smashed but not leaking. I was planning on disposing of properly. So it won't hurt to have exposed to air? I had my thermostat housing out for a couple days and it began growing white clusters.......

It doesnt help for the system to be open as moisture is bad for an a/c system.if its capped well,thats about all you can do.What happens is when its left for a long time seals dry up and rust /corrosion builds up in low points( such as evap coil /condenser).But that usually after a long period of time.if its just for the winter it probably will be fine.When you do get it fixed just make sure the ac sysytem is serviced properly( vacuumed and correct amount of oil added)its reccomended to also change the reciever dryer but not neccasary.Just talk to the a/c tech when you get it done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts