DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming home from a friend's house Friday night, just about to hop on 84, get stuck at a light behind on of the ugliest pieces of Volkswagen rice I have ever seen. The thought of blowing this guy's doors off was begining to cross my mind, (two lane on-ramp) then it happens.

The engine just dies. Nothing, no warning, not even a check engine light. I try to start her back up and nothing, the engine cranks but no start.... :mad:

After being on hold for almost an hour with AAA :eek: I get my wounded Eagle towed over to the local dodge dealer..

I find out on monday what its gonna cost me.. :(

·
Registered
77 Posts
Don't worry to much, it could be as simple as a the alternator...had that happen to me several times when I had GM products...no warning at all just died, one time it was on the Poplar street bridge across the mississippi river, by the arch in st louis. As I coasted across the bridge I yelled at a tow truck, and he picked me up.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Naaaa its not the alternator, the car crank until I killed the battery, so its not getting spark or fuel...

My guess is fuel, I couldnt hear the fuel pump energize anymore when I turned the igintion on...

·
Registered
568 Posts
Originally posted by Mopar4U:
Place your bets, place your bets.....$20 says the timing belt snapped? Anyone else?

Hope it's not serious :)
I broke a timing belt in my old mustang and it did exactly what you described, so I'm gonna double down on MOPAR's wager.

The good news is the part is pretty cheap.

Buschman

·
Registered
436 Posts
Yeah, the part is cheap but the labor is not if you have the dealer do it. If it is the timing belt make sure you do the water pump and O-rings at the same time!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
God I hope its not the timing belt, Isn't the 3.5 an Interference type engine?

I couldnt really afford a valve job right now :(

Come to think of it, ive had to clean the camshaft position sensor's contacts a couple of times before, (Engine would cut out on highway for a sec then come back on) maybe its finaly gone...

BTW its STILL at the dealer, they havent even looked at it yet :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

[ July 31, 2001: Message edited by: Wildcat ]

·
Registered
436 Posts
Originally posted by Wildcat:
God I hope its not the timing belt, Isn't the 3.5 an Interference type engine?
I always thought there was NO interference with the 3.5??????

Wildcat,
Did you check your self diagnostic codes before the car went to the dealer? I can see it being the camshaft or crankshaft sensor, but I'm going to stick with my bet on the timing belt being you have a 95 and no mentiion of every changing the belt.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont think its the timing belt, the water pump went at 58K and was replaced then (at 93K now)

Now that you mentioned it, I didnt think to try pulling the codes out before I had it towed...I was too pissed off to think of it I guess..

It's STILL at the dealer :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: they hevent even looked at it yet

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Fuel Pump relay?!? If he didnt hear the pump when he turned on the ignition then it could be that... Hopin it is as simple as that for ya! Thank god 3.3`s have timing chains! :)

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
sometimes if you turn the engine off and then back on without waiting too long the fuel system apparently doesn't de-pressurize because when you turn the key to on, nothing happens except the dash lighting up. if he tried to crank it right after it died chances are the system was still pressurized.

remember this is all from personal experience

·
Registered
1 Posts
The same friggin thing happened to me about 2 hours ago.. but I was just driving down 50 and it happened.. IT SUCKS! I'm going to go with the Timing Belt Theme, because thats what my uncle said was the matter with mine...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the prognosis (sp?) is in...sort of.

The fuel pump isnt getting an power, they think its in the fuse panel somewhere...they are working on it now..

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
An easy way to rule out the relay is just switch in another relay on that block. All of the 1" Cube relays under that cover infront of the brake booster are all the same. Just take the intermitten wiper relay from it's socket and replace it with the relay from the fuel pump. If your intermitten wipers work then the relay is still good and something else is wrong.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its the fuse block...they want at least $900 to replace the entire unit :eek:

Im not going to have them fix it. $900 is insane for one fuse that isnt working correctly.

Im going to have it towed home and wire in a replacement fuse holder myself. Now, if the fuel pump relay is under the hood with the others, is that 10amp fuse inside just for the relay trigger voltage? If it is, all I need to do is supply an alternate path for the voltage when the ignition is on, and that would be pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Originally posted by Wildcat:
Its the fuse block...they want at least $900 to replace the entire unit :eek:

Im not going to have them fix it. $900 is insane for one fuse that isnt working correctly.

Im going to have it towed home and wire in a replacement fuse holder myself. Now, if the fuel pump relay is under the hood with the others, is that 10amp fuse inside just for the relay trigger voltage? If it is, all I need to do is supply an alternate path for the voltage when the ignition is on, and that would be pretty easy to do.

Try Napa auto parts. Dodge wanted $1800 bucks for a freaking rack and pinion steering unit. Napa sold it to me for $244 bucks! Now how can you beat that? It's at least worth a shot.

Buschman

·
Registered
436 Posts
Originally posted by Buschman:

Try Napa auto parts. Dodge wanted $1800 bucks for a freaking rack and pinion steering unit. Napa sold it to me for $244 bucks! Now how can you beat that? It's at least worth a shot.

Buschman
A complete rack and pinion for $244????? This is the whole rack and pinion??? I know in the winter when I take turns I get that ratcheting sound, I believe I need to replace the rack and pinion. If I can get it for $244 I'm gonna do it rather than live with that nasty noise!

:eek:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Originally posted by Buschman:
hey Mopar could you explain what you mean by none interference? And whats the story with these error codes you guys are talking about?

Any help would be appreciated.

Buschman
Remind you I'm not a mechanic. On some cars, when the timing belt breaks the valves get bent or smashed by the pistons (I think?) or something to that effect. All I know is that you would need a valve job if this did happen. Some or I think most of todays cars are set up so if the timing belt breaks the valves won't interfere. Another good point, why don't the 3.5's have chains like the 3.3's?

Go here http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes.html to read on checking your cars codes. This can save a lot of money if you know what your doing. ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts