DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally finished this mod, It's taken a couple months to get everything I needed together, but finally it's in!

Some tips for others contemplating this mod...

The PCM must be changed. I thought that I could use any 2.7 PCM from '00 or '01, but that's not the case, It has to be from a 2.7 with MTV, so an Intrepid ES with a 2.7 from 00-01. The 2000 would be preferable, since the 2.7 was detuned a bit in '01 for emissions, or so I have heard. The part # for this PCM is 04896530AF.

The MAP sensor is totally different on the 2000 manifold compared to the 98. I drilled a couple holes to mount the 98 sensor onto the 00 manifold, along with some sealant. Another option would be to find a pigtail for a 00 MAP sensor, and splice that into where the original plug was.

The 98 engine harness snakes right where the MTV solenoid is on the new manifold and I had to push it under the plenum as much as I could, and stand on top of the intake so it would compress the harness enough so I could get the bolts started. The only way around this would be to get a harness from a car that came with it.

Also a wire has to be ran from the PCM to the MTV solenoid, and another to any wire from the ASD relay, I used one from the coil pack right by the MTV solenoid.

I first bought a non-MTV PCM about 2 months ago, and installed it to find out it didn't operate the MTV solenoid, but I left it in until last week when I installed the other PCM. It operated the MTV so I've had the solenoid tie-strapped to my oil dipstick until today, when I could get the manifold on. I would have to say that even just switching from a 98 to a 00 PCM would be a good upgrade. It seemed to drive smoother around town, stop and go, as if a lag I never really noticed until I changed the PCM, had disappeared. I'm sure those engineers must have done some tweaking in 2 years.

Anyways, it's in and working!!! In the next week sometime I'm going to hook a meter up and test to see when the MTV is in operation. All I know now is that it closes the passage between the two halves of the plenum at WOT, but I don't know what the RPM range is. When driving normal, the solenoid is not energized and is in the open position.

Reactions: Gorm

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Can you do an impromptu torque converter stall test?
The '98 stalled up at about 3000rpm (and ~175ft-lbs there) and that was with the resonance chamber open.

So by having the valve installed (and in the closed position) I think the valve opens ~4500, and then recloses at ~5600-5700, the low speed torque should be increased.
Base: [email protected], [email protected], chrysler said 90% of peak torque from 2400-6100.
2000: [email protected], [email protected]

and by having more torque, there is more torque to cut back on so that the torque management software of the transmission can make smoother shifts.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I remember that the '98 only had one ass kicking range 4500-5500, power, sound, and smoothness. After 5500 it didn't sound as good, and after 6000 the refinement wasn't there.

Although I always did try to chase the 6500 rev limiter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts