DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a HP desktop with 300GB hard drive.... I also have a 80 WD800 (80GB) hard drive that bought for my old PC about 1 1.5 years ago. So I just pulled the cd roms and both hard drives out of it so i can junk the case. My question is do i need to set this 2nd hard drive to slave? B/C I also added it to my old PC and it was the 2nd hard drive on that system also and it's not on slave!!!

·
Registered
11,960 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
I was seriously considering getting this, until I read some "reviews" by others who purchased them...

The drive isn't really a shared network drive. While it IS accessible through the network, there is no network settings. In order to access the drive over the network, you have to install special drivers on every computer that you want to have access to the drive...

That little tidbit kinda screwed it for me.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
yes, that is pretty much exactly what I am talking about, I have two of mine hooked up USB, one to my server, and one to a PC, share them in windows and any machine can access them as long as the host pc is on

Again the best part is that you can simply unplug them for whatever PC they are on, hot plug and play them to any other PC and be using them immediatly

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
smc1377 said:
But if you only have one drive, why bother hot swapping it? Just install the damn drive into the computer.
Yea thats true too......... I'm going going to buy another drive, B/C My HP CP came with 320MB hard drive, I just took apart my old PC which had a WD400(40GB) from the factory and i had added a WD800(80GB) from Compusa. The 80GB is already partition into 2 40GB drives... So i just want to install that drive so i can put all of my pc games on that along with some pictures and songs.. so i don;t have to use up much of the 320gb..... I have games like C&C, Microsoft flight sim, NFS, Madden and a few other game.. and with downloading the different modsand trainers for each games it can take up some extra space.........

·
Registered
684 Posts

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Morphy said:
Keep your receipt. Those Comstar's are the biggest pieces of **** in the history of networked hard drives.
I've heard nothing but bad things about those comstars...

Well, thanks guys for the info.... I changed the jumpers on the hard drive and hooked up the wires from my old PC to my new PC mother board and i also had to change bios so it wouldn't try to boot from windows 98 (not sure why it was doing that b/c that drive was just a slave drive and windows wasn't installed on it)... but it's all good and working now...... It's partition into 2 drives both 37.5 of free space on them!!!

·
Woober Goobers!
50,125 Posts
Glad to hear that you got the hard drive installed and working well. Here's a few things that I've found out while researching external drives. There are plenty of external enclosures that accept standard 3.5" PATA/SATA drives with either a USB and/or Firewire interface. If you want to get a NAS enclosure that you can share on your network here's where you need to be careful. There are NAS drives/enclosures out there for under $400 but the sacrifice is with the cheapos you'll be loading specialized drivers on each PC to access it. The ones that are true NAS drives/enclosures that are shared across a network connection are basically a PC in a box with drives. Meaning they have a processor and operating system(Linux usually) built in. These boxes will generally cost at least $500 without any drives! They can be plugged into the network anywhere and are accessable from any machine on the network. With a HD in a USB or firewire enclosure you're basically looking at a shared drive on the network just like it was internally mounted in a particular PC. In other words if your enclosure was connected to a PC and that PC was powered off it's no longer shared.
I'm going thru all this to show my Netgear SC101 which cost me $99(I think it can be found at Staples for $75 now!). It had no drives in it and after buying two Seagate PATA 500mb HD's at $99 each I now have 1tb of network storage. The downside to this is a specialized driver has to be loaded on each PC that accesses it. However this puppy has been working flawlessly as a NAS storage device. It's RAID capable..but I use it for max storage space without RAID. Trivial info..but I thought I'd share it. Ducking from the thrown vegetables!!

Netgear also has the SC101T(Turbo) out now which runs about $157 from Newegg. That model accepts SATA drives and has a Gigabyte ethernet connection instead of the 10mbs connection of the model I have. Netgear has also released the drivers for Vista which work fine on my machines running it.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Hey 01 intrepid - I'll have to play C&C against you sometime when I get my hi speed internet in the next few weeks...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts