DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't sit and watch infomercials and I don't like to promote any additives and such. I was just curious what everyone else uses for oil and gas additives if any, and any results you've seen. I am quite convinced that most of the **** out there does not do anything. But I have to admit I found something that really made me open my eyes. I put some "Marvel Mystery Oil Fuel Cleaner" in my fuel tank, and WOW! My car runs so much smoother and quiter after adding this stuff. I've done it twice now about every 10,000 miles and I can notice the difference when I add it.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I have heard that stuff works wonders. I have never tried it in my 'Trep though. Maybe I will have to go and get me some of that.

Many of the additives that are available are good for specific applications and not others. Also, some of them shouldn't be used continuously.

Mopar4U has it down, where he only puts in a can/bottle every 10,000 miles. This is a good schedule to have for preventative maintainance. If something starts to go wrong with your car and you want to run some, for conversations sake, injector cleaner through it then you may have to do that for the next 4 or 5 tank fulls. Too much fuel injector cleaner does more harm than good.

The way that I look at it is that my car is running well 'at the moment' (KNOCK ON WOOD!!!) so why mess with it.

I can see this post turning out to be a good one if everyone throws in there .02 and is open minded. We may even be able to test out additives, with our wide range of owners, and make a real good summary of what is out there and what is good.

Anyway I look forward to reading what others have to say on this subject.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I use STP Injector cleaner every 5k.. I am real sceptical about Infomercial products...

But I am always after perfection, and if mopar4u has found something that will make my engine run/sound smoother then I am all over it, only because its word of mouth and I trust his opinion, if he was in a TV selling it to me via an infomercial I would switch :) Maybe its just thier tacky way of advertising, I dont know, its just sit on my wallet when I see`em :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have the Dodge dealer add BG 44 and an oil additive that they sell every 6,000 or so. I only added it once so far and the car is quieter on start up and runs smoother.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
There are certain additives out there that are really not needed. In fact, there are some additives that are already added to gasoline. Damn, if I can only remember the exact ones. I personally am sceptical of any additives. But if I know a few people who have tried the same additive and it works, than I would be willing to try it meself.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Marvel Mystery is a legandary product that has been around for years. It does work miracles espcially in older noisy engines.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I use motorkote additive and it really works. Both for oil and gas. I've seen a demonstration live and it really outpreforms any other lubricant. And the gas additive increases octane and I sure notice that!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
this brings up a good question....

what is the best fuel antifreeze additive?? also, how do the fuel lines on the treppys hold up in a real winter (mn, nd style)? my friend's honda doesn't freeze even if the low fuel light is but i know a guy that has a hyundai that freezes without additive at 3/4 tank.

hope some of you northerners get ready, i have a lot of questions about winter.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live in near the twin cities in WI and I have never added anything to my fuel and I have never had a problem with my fuel lines freezeing up. Actually none of my Mopars have ever done that. Last winter was a pretty cold one around here. (I've got snommobile sickness) I WANT WINTER TO COME NOW!!!!!AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH :eek:

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
that's good to hear. they said it was unusually cold up in ND last year too...some mornings at -35F or so. that's pretty damn cold.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Here in MI its gets pretty cold also, and my `corde never has froze, yet my Dodge Shadow was just a pain in the ass, it always used to freeze, only in the injector though, there I was some mornings with my wife`s hairdryer blasting at the injector :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you car is freezing up it is because there
is water in the fuel, you can prevent this by
running ethonal blended fuel and it cleans
every thing too, ethonal is like isopropylene (red bottels of heat) it bonds with water molecules and takes them through the system with out freezing. And ethanol blend burns
cleaner for those who have emmision tests, and is usually a higher octane rating.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have never had a problem with my 'Trep up here in Ontario winters!!! I don't use any anti-freeze fuel additives either...

·
Registered
39 Posts
yeah, last december i was in south lyon, michigan... let the car sit for a day and the mofo wouldnt start at all. it would turn over fine just couldnt keep on it too long with fear of wearing out the ignition motor. finally got it started, added some crappy fuel additive from meijers in novi, then headed off to gaylord...lemmie just say that my polaris started just fine, but the intrepid was starting-impaired......THEN, when i finally got the fkr started days later, i put it in a ditch.
this season, ill leave her at home. i love the cold, but she doesnt

·
Registered
39 Posts
oh yeah, as mentioned before, B&G 44k fuel add... and B&G oil addi is probably some of the best out there...marvel myst. is good too, but its real corrosive...my dad dumps a round of that into the open cylinders of his '56 benz to keep it from seizing in storage....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts