DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a subwoofer. I was originally thinking about the Infinity Basslink, but after looking around have convinced myself not to go with a "manufactured" sub.

What I did see that I liked was a Clarion 10" or 12" powered by a Clarion 400W amp. I REALLY liked the JL setup but don't think I want to invest those kind of $$$.

I'm looking for some extra "kick" and am interested in what's worked for others.

Thanks in advance.

Reason for edit: I had to change the subject from Advive to Advice....was bugging the hell out of me ;)

[ February 13, 2002: Message edited by: Intrepid99 ]

·
Registered
3,503 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Originally posted by Rick W:
What I did see that I liked was a Clarion 10" or 12" powered by a Clarion 400W amp. I'm looking for some extra "kick" and am interested in what's worked for others.
Hey Rick,

Thanks again for the info on the PIAA's. I have a very similar combination in my '00 R/T, namely, a single 12" Clarion in an unported box, driven by a Clarion amp. I only sprang for the 200W model though. I bridged both channels to mono, so the amp is dedicated to the sub. I replaced the factory deck with a 200W Pioneer head unit. The amp was bolted to the back seat, and the sub is aimed towards the back of the car. Looking back, I should have installed the amp on the back of the sub box (notch built in), and aimed the sub towards the interior of the car. I get some wick resonnating off the decklid.

Put's some serious kick into the Headstones though!

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i'm not an expert when it comes to car audio. me i want to put to 15's in my trunk and im leaning towards, the rockford fosgate subs, which are called the power hx2. they put out 150-1,000 power range and its peak power is 2,000 watts. if i put these subs on my car how will i go by buying an amp ( i know im going to need a powerful amp)
thanks

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Miami R/T, what kind of music do you listen to? If you listen to anything besides rap, I wouldn't go with 15" subs. They aren't responisve enough for anything else. And for the amp issue, I am sold on MTX amps. If you want one powerful bastard to power them things, go get yourself an MTX 61000D amp. They are in the area of $650. If you want something a bit cheaper and still fairly powerful, downsize to the MTX 6500D amp. All of the MTX D series amps are 85% heat efficient, so they don't lose as much power through heat as some other amps.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I agree with Pimped on the woofer size. If you listen to a lot of other music other than rap and bass, 15's aren't the best choice. I would go with 12's. I hear MTX and Rockford Fosgate amps are good. I have a Rockford amp, but I can't give a 100% accurate review on it since I think I'm having problems with my LOC. I have plans to get an aftermarket deck.

I know quite a few people like to use the JBL BP1200.1 amp. This amp delivers 600watts RMS to each sub (wheter you hook up one or two subs, it doesn't matter). The JBL runs around $350-$400.

·
Registered
890 Posts
OKay here my opinion.
So far ive gone thru 7 diffrent set of woffers and i will list them. All was installed at sound advice and i never had to pay for anything except for upgrades.

First i started with some orions they blew the first week i had them they cost me like 150 for a pair.

So then i got some xtant those lasted pertty good but then they also blew. So then i was like screw this.

Then i got me some Kicker Comp Vr's They thumped really loud but then they also blew.

Then i did a major upgrade i went to 2 15's Solobaric Squares. All i can say these speakers are not all that great. The sound waves that a square woffer makes does not compare to the soundwave a round woffer makes. I never blew these speakers and they were allright but they werent all that loud bassically. so i decided i wanted something else.

So then i went back to the Kicker Comp Vr's the second day i had them i blew them.

So i went back to sound advice and got the new Xtant X series that are shapped Hexagonal. They were good for a while maybe 1 week and then they blew.

Now i got sick and tired of blowing ****. The problem was the amp i had was way powerfull it is a V12 Alpine amp at 1,200 watts so i was over powering my subs.

Now i saw these 12 inch MB Quarts and they were rated at 1,000 watts each, So i was thinking 600 watts slpit into 2 channels will do fine. And i will lessen the risk of frying these subs.

So i went with the solobarics and once they installed them DAMN these things shake the freaking car. So far i had them for 3 weeks and no problem. they cost $399 and they are worth it.

One thing i realized was always get youre system and youre subs from a installer place because it will end up being easier on youre pocket. If i would of bought the speakers independently and installed them my self. I would of lost so much money just blowing the speakers up

SO My Recomendations is 2 12" MB Quarts you cant go wrong and 1 alpine v12 Amp ;) ;)

·
Registered
890 Posts
Defenintly not the Hcca I think the cheap ones.

i had bought the alpine amp at 1k and i had to keep it. But like you said dont over power youre subs. :D :D :D

·
Registered
890 Posts
Oh Yeah Warlord Can you see my sig pic???
Its weird everytime i reply and then i see an x then when i click the back button on the browser it shows the pic weirddddd :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
890 Posts
Its cool ill just wait until randy puts the new pics on the members page and then il do it from there. I cant find a good free web host do you know of any????

I know geocitiecs and lycos wont alow hosting on diffrent pages thats why they block it. so if do you know of any good free ones???

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Originally posted by Warlord187:
DON'T OVERPOWER YOUR SUBS!!!!!!!!!!
That's better than underpowering them. When subs are underpowered that is when they distort or crackel. Sometimes you can even damage them by having them underpowered. If your amp is too powerful just turn the gain down a bit and adjust the dB level knobs to get a better sound.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Originally posted by pimped3point3:
That's better than underpowering them. When subs are underpowered that is when they distort or crackel. Sometimes you can even damage them by having them underpowered. If your amp is too powerful just turn the gain down a bit and adjust the dB level knobs to get a better sound.
Oh ****. Here we go again. The debate on what causes a sub to blow. Your statement isn't entirely true pimped. Hell, I'm not even sure 100% what causes a sub to blow. I've heard that clipping causes a sub to blow, but there is more to it than that. The gain is a setting to match the incoming RCA signal (voltage). It has nothing to do with power or bass settings.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Originally posted by Warlord187:
The gain is a setting to match the incoming RCA signal (voltage). It has nothing to do with power or bass settings.
You notice when you mess around with it the sub(s) will hit harder or softer. You turn it down when the sub can't handle much or you don't want all that much bass. And if you have a really high watt sub you turn it up you make it pound harder.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Originally posted by pimped3point3:
You notice when you mess around with it the sub(s) will hit harder or softer. You turn it down when the sub can't handle much or you don't want all that much bass. And if you have a really high watt sub you turn it up you make it pound harder.
Yes, I have noticed that. However; the gain setting is not a setting you want to rely on "saving your subs". Well first, the best way to set the gain is as follows:

1)Make sure the gain is all the way down and that the volume on the head unit is all the way down.

2)Start to turn the volume on the head unit up until you start to hear distortion. When you hear distortion, turn the volume down a tad.

3) Now start to turn the gain setting up until you start to hear distortion. When you hear distortion, turn the gain down a tad.

This matches the the signal voltage between the amp and the head unit.

Now, with that in mind, if you turn the gain up or down to "adjust the volume/bass", you run the risk of damaging your subs by either over excursion, clipping, distortion. I'm not saying that there is a 100% change of you blowing you subs by doing that, but the gain setting should not be relied on to "save your subs".

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I realize that. I always turn my H/U up until my mids are still clear yet as loud as I want them to be in the cabin. Then I turn my gain up right before the point of distortion. Kinda the same thing you are saying. Also my H/U has independant sub control. So I can adjust stuff like that too.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
eek... you guys all have so much stereo power... I got 2 pioneer Premier amps, a 4-channel and a 2 channel. both are 50 W a channel, or bridge two and ya get 150 RMS. so i got 4x50rms in the car, and one 12" at 150rms.... and I can't turn it all the way up. I must just be a wuss :p

PS. the stock door speakers can't hand 50W... blew them both in the first week :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts