DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A year ago I purchased a 1994 Eagle TSI,which I`ve spent the better part of a summer putting back to its former glory.
The car has no known issues at time being,however I want to get the timing belt replaced,as no one really knows the last time this was done.
I am fairly confident with taking on the job myself,specially seeing as this cost closer to 3000$ at local automotive shops (yes,really.)

I shall be buying my parts at Rock Auto,and would like to avoid returning wrong parts,
so I was hoping someone with experience from this job could provide some insight regarding the following;

1. I am looking to purchase a kit,any experience with this brand?
Gates
Are there better alternatives?

2. Kit does not include cam. tensioner hydraulic assembly.
Do I absolutely need to replace this component,or is it possible to re-use the old one,giving it is not warped or damaged?
( My Haynes manual makes no mention of replacing it during the timing belt replacement.)

3. I see a oil leak coming from somewhere around the existing hydraulic assembly.
Not so much as to need refilling the engine,but some stains under the front cradle.
Should I consider adding some camshaft /crankshaft seals to my order?
Or is this a procedure which could cause further oil leaks.
I would be comfortable exchanging the crankshaft seal,but uncertain about the camshafts,as I would not mess with the timing.

4. Any other components it would be wise to replace at the same time,seeing as this much of the engine is already removed?
( Of course I am doing the waterpump)

Any insights and advice much appreciated:)

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My apologies for posting in the wrong forum,I can`t seem to delete my thread.
If a moderator could move it to the correct forum,I would appreciate it,
thank you.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Gates is a good brand.

I would def suggest a new Hydraulic Ten.

Without cleaning that area well, then re checking for leak be hard to tell.

Cam seals are a PITA, I know the passenger side bolt requires you to jack the engine up a bit to get it out (super long) Never did a crank seal.

I highly suggest though once you've done your timing, rotate the engine over twice by hand and recheck all marks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seeing as the leak appears around the tensioner,it would be typical luck if it stems from the cam seals.
I will have a better opinion once all is taken apart,just wanted to have the necessary parts on hand before doing so.
The seals are not a costly part,so maybe I will purchase both just in case.
Do you think I can get away with any kind of tensioner (as long as its produced for the car in question),
or must I have the specific Gates tensioner to go with the Gates belt?
Sorry if my question seems redundant.
Many thanks for taking your time to shed some light.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Seeing as the leak appears around the tensioner,it would be typical luck if it stems from the cam seals.
I will have a better opinion once all is taken apart,just wanted to have the necessary parts on hand before doing so.
The seals are not a costly part,so maybe I will purchase both just in case.
Do you think I can get away with any kind of tensioner (as long as its produced for the car in question),
or must I have the specific Gates tensioner to go with the Gates belt?
Sorry if my question seems redundant.
Many thanks for taking your time to shed some light.
I do not think any brand needs to work in conjunction with any other. I would also of course replace the idler if you haven't already.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts