DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone knows (?) that, at least on second gen treps, when you brake from a relatively high speed, the sterring wheel shakes. Has anyone replaced their rotors with aftermarket ones? I know HP Racing makes some that fit the 300M. If so, did the problem go away?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'd like to know of better stuff out there. Coming up to 21,000 and my brakes are making weird noises. Will let you know what the dealer says next week, most likely pad replacement at 21,000 miles :( .

I thought someone had said Stillen made crossed drilled for the Intrepid, but they have been "updating our DB" for about 3 weeks now!! so unless you call, have no idea what they actually have.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I replaced my rotors in september and well now they are warped again, shaking the steering wheel, IM going to take it back and try and see if I can't pick up some free rotors out of it. prob will not happen though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Bad news, there are not any brake goodies at Stillen for the 'Trep just the Neon, Avenger, Durango, Dakota and Viper :baaa:

·
Registered
65 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
I'm positive I saw another site that sold Crossdrilled AND Slotted rotors, not just one or the other.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
i would really, really like a set of drilled/slotted rotors! i think they would look badass with my wheels! all nice and shiny against my red calipers..

·
Registered
65 Posts
The problem that the site states is that the slotted rotors will make alot of heat that will mostlikely warp the rotors under normal driving conditions, which would defeat the whole reason to replace the crappy warp/prone rotors that are on the car!!

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
hug311 said:
The problem that the site states is that the slotted rotors will make alot of heat that will mostlikely warp the rotors under normal driving conditions, which would defeat the whole reason to replace the crappy warp/prone rotors that are on the car!!
I can't seem to get that web site loaded up to see what their reasoning behind that is (or to see what the product looks like). But I will make a couple of comments based on your observations.

There are a few advantages that a x-drilled/sloted rotor has over a solid rotor. One of them is to disipate heat better. Now if too much of the material is removed from the rotor (or if the rotor is too thin), than not enough heat will be able to be disipated. I'm still confused by the statement "slotted rotors will make alot of heat under normal driving conditions." As compared to what? The only other type of driving condition I can think of is a racing application. A racing vehicle will produce far more heat than normal driving conditions. If that statement is true, than it would seem that these rotors are designed for racing applications, since there would be other features of the braking system to dissipate the heat.

But in general, a x-drilled/slotted rotor will dissipate more heat than a solid rotor.

If I ever get that web page to load up, I might be able to make some better observations.

·
Registered
890 Posts
HEY warlord. When you install those piaa ion cyrstals. Can you take pics please. Because when i get my new vechile i want to install those bulbs in the fog section thanks:cool:

·
Registered
217 Posts
My update. My brakes are fine, normal wear. Just a lot of 'crud' in there (probably salt, sand, dirt) that was making the noise. They cleaned them up and they work fine again.

Still would love drilled rotors, but then I would definitly need to buy new wheels also...send me your tax rebates!!

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Wutang15m said:
HEY warlord. When you install those piaa ion cyrstals. Can you take pics please. Because when i get my new vechile i want to install those bulbs in the fog section thanks:cool:
Sure will. As soon as I complete the change, I will make a "How-To" on my website. If I remember, I'll let you know when it's up. I'm not sure when I'll get it done. It's a simple procedure, but I ran into a couple of stupid and "doh!" problems. :)

As for brakes, I just had my front pads and rotors replaced today. It's too soon to tell if there is any difference. I was looking at my old pads and the left side has about twice as much friction left on the steel shoe as did the right side. I'm not 100% sure why this is, but I sure am going to inquire about it. :)

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Warlord187 said:

I ran into a couple of stupid and "doh!" problems. :)

Don't you just love those? heh, I always get those be it working on my computer or messing with my car. :p

·
Registered
8 Posts
I belive Powerstop makes cross-drilled sloted rotors for the front. (not sure about the rear) There is also a Graphite metalic brake pad out by a company called Ferodo which i've had very good luck with. ( I'm the manager of an auto parts store....so i waist most my time looking up parts for my Intrepid..shhhh, don't tel the boss, hahaha)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts