DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this has been going on for at least 2 years now and it is starting to get really annoying. 95 3.5L. The car does it about 5 times a week in the winter, about 2 times a week in the spring, about 2 times a week in the fall, and never in the summer. (note that I live in WI). In the mornings when I go to start my car it will fire at 1,500 RPM and immediately drop to 3-400 RPM and spitter and spatter and sometimes die if I don't hit the gas in time. Sometimes I will go to start it in the mornings and it will fire right at 7-800 RPM and spitter and spatter for a while, it should always fire at 1,500RPM and slowly come down to 7-800 RPM when the car is cold.

Once I get the car idling around 7-800 RPM, if within 10 minutes of driving it or just in park idling, I turn it off and turn it back on, it will do it again. But after about 10 minutes and the car is nice and warm it won't do it again for the rest of the day and it runs fine.

I have replaced the plugs, wires, fuel filter, fuel regulater, I have no vaccum leaks to the best of my knowledge, I've had the intake gasket replaced.

Any suggestions, PLEASE!!

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
I had the same problem on an Aerostar I had. The problem was the crank shaft position sensor. If there is such a thing on our cars, exposure to moisture (even moisture in the air will do it) will set off the troubles.

That shitty van had it even worse..it would shake and shudder like an old ox cart till warmed.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The AIS motor checked out ok. What I did is look at the camshaft sensor,(the one in the front of the car)I pulled it out of the hole and cleaned all the black crap off of it. I could see rust built up on whatever is in that hole. I don't like the way that the sensor fits into that hole allowing moisture to get in there (which can cause this problem). So I took some dielectric grease and put that around the upper part of the sensor as well as the top of the hole so no moisture can get in there. I did that about 2.5 weeks ago and I haven't had a problem yet and the car has started fine everytime. I was thinking of permanently sealing this hole off with a caulk or something. Is there a reason this plastic sensor is just a slip fit into an aluminum casting?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
remember that the cam position sensor seems to go out often on the 3.5. keep in mind if you caulk the thing in there that sometime it might have to come out. maybe it'd be a good idea to buy the part (how much is it, never had the problem?), replace it and then caulk it in there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
this sensor is open to the atmosphere under there anyways.however metal filings can cause these problems as well.also if you replace the sensor it just plugs in there is no programing involved.cheers! Sully

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I noticed it was full of all kinds of **** on the sensor. I cleaned that off as well, maybe that is what fixed my starting problems....so far. I am going to make this part of my routine maintenance (to clean the camshaft sensor).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts